? for CRV owners

Any CRV owners out there have the emergency brake stay on even though the hand lever is fully released and the dash warning light is off? bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

-----------------------

Which series of CR-V? It's normal for old DETROIT vehicles to do that when water gets into the brake cables, but I've never heard of CR-V doing it, except if you've been fording the creek on a cold day and it's frozen the next morning. If it's been stored with the park brake on it will do that (should be stored with park brake off)

I've noticed the handbrake on the GEn II CR-V is supposed to be adjusted for something like 5-7 clicks before lockup. The early versions of the Honda manual for Gen 1 said 2-4 clicks, IIRC. Another writer said the auto-adjustment won't work if you try to make the Honda park brake work like a VW (1-2 clicks). I've backed off my cable so I'm getting 6 or 7 clicks, and I like the body mechanics of having the lever come up higher. I think your chiropractor would agree.

:-) There's very little about a VW that I want my Honda to imitate anyhow. :-( 'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Now for the rest (or some of the rest) of the story. My brother in Fairfax VA had a problem with the rear brakes on his new CRV. He was driving with three passingers in to D.C. on a cold morning last week. He started the car,released the brake, and picked up the car-pool members and about five minuts into the trip the rear brakes began making a loud noise and vibrating. Since it was 5:30 A.M., he took the CRV home and stole his wife's car to get the pool to work. Honda dealer is saying that $500.00 repair is going to be customer pay, because he was driving with the brake on. There was no dash warning light on. Brother Jim has contacted Honda And now has a "file number" but no answer yet. I was wondering what the tech had missed, or what could have caused the problem on a CRV with 3000 miles on it. Any ideas out there? bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

If the park brake had been on there would have been a BRAKE light on the dash. Within about 1/2 block, the ABS would have shut itself off and a light would have come on too, with a very audible 'BONG'.

Unless Jim is a real idiot, how could he have missed those clues???

What were the weather conditions? Any chance it froze up overnight?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'