2004 Camry SE V4 or V6 Help me decide!

I've decided to buy a New 2004 or 2005 Camry SE. But I can't decide whether to go with V4 or V6. Sure the added horsepower of the V6 would be nice. But price/gas/additional manintenace costs are getting in the way of getting a V6. But then you only live once and V6 would prolly be more fun to drive.

Here's the Lowdown: I currently drive a 90 Camry V6 Deluxe (Not LE, not avaiable back then) Its got 130K miles. Leather, Power seat/windows/sunroof/rear windows, cruise, Brake booster, cruise control. I get alot of complients for it because its suprisingly quiet, accident-free, impeccable paint, and dentless. But for last 9 months I've been driving it 82 miles a day cause I live 41 miles from work. And its a smooth Complete Highway drive cause I live 5 seconds from the highway and my company is right off highway. Now because I work off-hours (No rushhour and I live in Northern Jesey commuting to Central Jersey), I drive 70-85 mph with a 14 yearold camry. Sometimes I've even set the Cruise Control to 75mph because not that many other cars on road at 11 at night or early morning. Seriously!

But here's my real question based on what I just said. With a 2004 Carmy SE V4 would it be wise to drive it at 80-90mph on a Daily Basis? Would I be wearing out the engine sooner cause i'm pushing it more on a daily basis? Or would I be better off to pay the extra $3,600 for a SE V6. I'm not too interested in accerating really fast, just crusing at High speeds WITHOUT faster wear/tear.

Will this V4 handle my driving habits? What you guys think. I'm sure alot of you have asked this same question to yourselves before buying. Please everyone reply.

Reply to
JoeyJoJO

I think you will have a much easier time finding the V6 than you will a "V4". That said, if you maintain the four cylinder vehicle properly and avoid jackrabbit starts it will last a very long time. I think the way transmissions work these days with extra gears, they take much load off the engine at high speeds.

Reply to
badgolferman

The 4 cylinder Camry drives great on the highway and uses very little gas. I drive on the interstate all the time at at least 75mph-in Florida, tht's what we slow down to if there's traffic ;^)

The car works fine. I have a v-6 Avalon too, and they both cruise just fine, but the Camry is cheaper to operate.

Reply to
Beans

Personally, I don't think it's wise to drive at those speeds in any car. Apart from the safety issues, you're bound to get caught, just a matter of time. Dunno about there, but here, that kind of speeding is a short-cut to being forced to take public transit.

Here's what Consumers Reports says about it:

------------------------------------------------------ The Camry is among our top-rated family cars, with the Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat. The 2.4-liter Four is outstanding. Handling is predictable and secure, but middling tire grip limits its capability. Steering response has improved but still feels a bit light. The XLE is fitted with wider, grippier tires that improve agility and braking. The V6 is smooth, quiet, and responsive; a larger 3.3-liter V6 arrived for the SE version.

Elsewhere in the article, they talk about it's fabled reliability.

Having said that, slow down man, or get a closer job!

--
"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario
Reply to
Buck Frobisher

Hi Group, Just interested. What's the speed limits in USA / CANADA. We have 70mph on main Motorways here in UK. But most travel at say upper 70s at least. Lots more cameras around these days but all but the portable ones have to have BRIGHT YELLOW COVERING to make them very visible. That's the law to. No hiding them any longer.

cheers,

By the way out gas has just hit 82p per litre that's about $1.25 a litre.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

In Canada, the limit on the big roads is 100 km per hour, most traffic does around 110-120. Regular gas is around C$0.80 (~33p) per litre and rising. A previous Ontario government introduced cameras at known spots, but the next government withdrew them. New government again now, and guess what? Talk of bringing them back.

--
"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario
Reply to
Buck Frobisher

Why not drive the old car one more year and see what happens to gas prices. They may go thru the roof unless China reduces growth significantly which is doubtful.

Reply to
Art

Speed limits on the Interstate Highways are pretty much 70mph. People normally drive about 80 to 90 on most highways like that. You are pretty safe from a ticket at 79, but there are some cops that will nail you at that speed.

Regular gas is about $1.85 per US Gallon here in my area of Florida.

Come on over and enjoy!

--
 Scott in Florida
Reply to

Sorry I just realized I kept calling it a V4 even though it obvioulsy is just a in-line 4 cylinder. I prolly should have decribed it as 4C or 6C.

Reply to
JoeyJoJO

JoeyJoJO wrote: /snip/

Personally, I'd prefer the V6 for highway driving. Gives you just that little added margin of performance that could make a difference one day. Also, if you've been driving a V6 all this time you may be dissatisfied with the lower performance of the 4 cylinder Camry. As you say, you only live once. (I hope this doesn't occasion a diversion into wasteful energy use, the value of saving oil for our children, a suggestion that you buy another 14 year-old Camry and drive it until the wheels fall off, etc.)

Have you driven both models yet?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hey JoJo, have you considered eliminating the 82 mile round trip commute daily by either moving closer to work site, or taking a commuter train, if available?

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

Why not get a Solara?

Why do you want a giant (yeah, Camrys have gotten *big*), 4 door car to drive 80 miles back and forth to work?

I think you'd have much more of a fun factor with a 2 door...and prolly better mileage too.

.02

Reply to
Big Kahuna

Reply to
JoeyJoJO

I would infer, from your next comments about how you intend to drive a new car, that most of your current driving (in your 14 year old Camry with 130K miles on it), is closer to 85 than 70. Going that speed in a 14 year old car with high mileage is a fatal accident waiting to happen. You're not driving your car, you're 'aiming' it. How about your steering components, your brakes, and most important, your tires? All you need is a blowout on old tires at that speed, and you're toast. And if you drive 85-90 in your new car, regardless of whether it's a V-6 or a 4 cyl., you're begging for a high priced ticket and probable loss of your driver's license if you persist. Then you'll become a happy commuter by bus. Slow down, you'll live longer. Really. Compute for yourself how much time you're saving by upping your speed to the max, and you'll realize how futile it is, and how much more fuel you're using at 90 than you would be driving at 65. Death is a permanent condition, and avoiding it should be your primary consideration....you've been lucky so far, don't push your luck.

Reply to
Mack Twamley

Nearly meaningless as the engine is loping along in overdrive at maybe 2000rpm.

The 4 cylinder model with a manual transmission is best. Less cost and nearly identical in-city performance to the V6(which is the only differnce between the two worth noting as highway performance is pretty simmilar)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Heh. THat explains it. I'd not live in Jersey either.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

New Camry has variable valve timing and a larger 2.4 litre engine in the four cylinder version which increase power, probably no less acceleration than your current 6 cylinder. It can drive at higher speeds all day long with no adverse affect as long as speed rated tires are properly inflated and balanced and the car is in good mechanical condition (all fluids clean and topped up). There's a higher load on all components at higher speeds, but if all maintenance is current, doesn't hurt a thing. If you ever need to change spark plugs, or work on the engine, the four cylinder is much more accessible.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

If your highway trip is 41 miles and you can go at a constant speed for the whole way, here is your travel time:

90 MPH - 27 minutes 20 seconds (10:30 faster than 65 MPH) 80 MPH - 30 minutes 45 seconds (7:45 faster than 65 MPH) 70 MPH - 35 minutes 08 seconds (2:42 faster than 65 MPH) 65 MPH - 37 minutes 50 seconds

I'll bet the speed limit on interstate highways in most of New Jersey is 65 MPH.

If 10 minutes 30 seconds each way is really that important to you, then you should buy the biggest heaviest most powerful car you can find. Don't worry about fuel economy. Don't worry about other drivers or their families that share the raod with you. All that is important to you is to see how fast you can go.

Actually you have another problem. If you really live 5 seconds from the interstate highway, your engine, transmission and the rest of the drivetrain, are not warmed up before you put it under extreme stress.

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

- Abraham H. Maslow

Reply to
RunnerBiker

The speed limit on U.S.Interstate highways (limited access) varies state to state. Lots are 65 mph (20), especially where the population is most dense. Many are 70 (16) and most western states have 75 mph (13) speed limits. Hawaii's speed limit is 60. Wouldn't want to accidentally drive off the island would you? Texas is 75 mph in day light and 65 at night. Speed limit for trucks is different (slower) in many states.

Check this web site to see speed limits in each state:

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

- Abraham H. Maslow

Reply to
RunnerBiker

I was just being honest. And I still get regularly passed by other drivers in their American cars.

I think I will be making a concious effort for the next couple of months to slow down to 65mph on a regular basis. But I'm sure soon after that I'll back to my old self. Appreciate the advice.

Reply to
JoeyJoJO