driveshafts on 95 civic SI

Hi there,

95 civic SI (canadian) 2-door coupe, manual trannie, no ABS. 150000kms.

Driveshafts are toast, since the guy drove around forever with busted boots. what a bozo.

Anyways, normally when I remove driveshafts, I don't have to worry about removing the damper fork. The reason for this is that usually I install the drive shaft in 2 pieces, and reassemble once I have inserted it through the damper fork. The inboard joint is too big to fit.

Anyways in the shop manual (Honda), it says that there is a 'self locking nut' M12x1.25.

Where is a good place to source a nut like this? Since if its 'self locking' I am assuming that means Nylon Locking, meaning that the nut will be toast once I remove it.

Any ideas? I am in Canada (winnipeg), and I have had problems sourcing metric nylon lock nuts in the past. I have seen a number of places on the net, but I think it would be better just to get one locally if possible.

disallow

or

disallow

Thanks for the picture - that clarifies it. Professional standards call for replacing the nut, but it almost certainly has plenty of holding power left. I've just been re-using the nut as-is. A better compromise would be to use a dab of Loc-Tite, but even that seems like overkill. I haven't looked closely, but it feels like a nylon locking nut - definitely not a deformed metal type.

When I worked in general aviation we reused nylon locking nuts all the time, only replacing them if they didn't resist right any more.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee