NP 242 J rebuild questions - was 95 XJ growl at 40 + mph

OK this was the thread about the growling 95 XJ. I have gotten to the point where the front drive shaft is removed and the transfer case noise is gone. If I rotate the front drive shaft yoke by hand the bearing seems ok, but every 2 revolutions there is an audible clanking, almost as if the chain has a broken segment and is hitting the bottom of the case on the 2nd revolution.

The lowest quote I've gotten is $700 - I could buy a remanufactured one for around $800. I just can't see dropping $700 for this repair......

I think maybe I can do this.... the wife thinks she will be ok without a vehicle for a few days - Are there any special tools needed for this? Are there any special tricks to taking the transfer case off? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I figure worst case scenario is I end up taking everything in a box to a shop to put together if I screw it up too bad....

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

I would suspect a stretched chain by that description. That's what bikes do, the chain rides up every so often then falls down and clanks. Problem is if the chain is that worn the gears might not be in good shape either.

Have you checked junkyard prices?

Mallet, screwdriver, wrench set, torque wrench. But you will need a manual because there is an order to doing the case.

Fairly straight forward, mark the linkages where they are adjusted it will make things go back in easier. I use tape or a marker.

Pry only at the reinforced locations or you risk cracking the case. Work your way around slowly and if you have to, tap the side with a rubber or dead-blow mallet (not a sledge or regular hammer)

Yep. And since it's out of the jeep they might charge you less.

Reply to
DougW

At the very least, get a Chilton's or Hayes manual. I have the Chilton's #8535 that is pretty decent on the NP 242. Not sure if it is in print anymore.

Before you start, take the vehicle to a self service car wash and really blast things underneath. Not a bad idea to repeat the process after you have the transfer case off, helps keep the contamination down.

To take it off the vehicle, remove front and rear driveshafts, remove tranny mount bolts, remmove speedo cable, vac switch cable, and the shift lever. Support tranny, drop the main cross member, and drain the oil. 5 or 6 bolts (depends on exact model), transfer case comes straight back. It weighs about 90 pounds, make sure you don't drop it.

Set the unit on the bench, tailshaft up. Start at the top (rear), 3 bolts on the extension and remove, pop the snap ring holding the bearing. Pull the center rear housing (speedo conects here). Pull the back half of the main section. All problems should be clear at this point. To change the chain, you 'usually' have to remove the front driveshaft yoke nut. Makes it easier anyway. Lift the two shafts and the chain as one unit. There is a detent spring in the front case than likes to go flying.

I'd suspect your chain is toast. The question is if the chain took out the sprockets, many times they are fine.

Parts are usually available from

or
I got better prices from my local suppliers. Dealer prices were out of sight plus not in stock.

Have fun.

paul wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ