replacing timing belt, water pump, seals on '90 3.0L 4Runner

Ok, my water pump is leaking pretty good and I guess it's time I bit the bullet and replaced it. Hoping folks could offer some great tips. I've looked for pages that detail the process and found some good info but all of it was for the 3.4L engine. Probably pretty close to my 1990 3.0L but I figured I would ask just in case there were some differences.

Here's what I plan to replace while I'm in there... drive belts, timing belt, idler(s), thermostat, water hoses, water pump, front crank seal, cam seals.

Some questions for folks that have done this?

  1. Is there a rebuild kit for the water pump or do I have to completely replace it?
  2. Are there any online instructions for the 3.0L timing belt?
  3. What special tools are recommended to replace the timing belt?
  4. Is there a "sure" way to keep things aligned so I don't get the timing off?
  5. Are any special tools needed for the crank and cam seals and are they difficult to replace?
  6. I've heard of a "cleaner" for the coolant system- is this recommended?
  7. I've heard of a "conditioner" for the coolant system- is this recommended?
  8. Roughly how long should I expect to take to do all this (assuming I'm of average mechanical ability)?
  9. And of course where is the cheapest place to order all these things?

Joa '90 4Runner 3.0 w/ 234K

Reply to
Joa

Replacement is usually the only option.

I run Redline Water Wetter in mine with Toyota red coolant and distilled/deionized water

I list a few on-line Toyota parts dealers on my page:

Roger Brown

http://208.233.99.171/trollhattan/Click "Online Catalog" This is one of many online retailers of OEM parts from WorldPac. The prices vary a bit from retailer to retailer, and so does customer service. I've had good customer service from these folks.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ok, promised to tell you all how it went...piece of cake! A few skinned knuckles and it took a while and was dirty and tedious but that's to be expected and what turning wrenches is all about, right ? :)

Only used two "special" tools. One was a chain wrench ($8 at Harbor Freight) and the other a pulley puller (another $8 at HF). The puller didn't have metric bolts with it so I just "borrowed" a couple of long ones (fit a size 12 wrench IIRC) from the intake manifold and then slipped a couple ½" drive sockets over them to take up the extra length. Worked like a charm.

The only other thing that I had to be careful of was not moving the TDC pulley position when I put on the new belt. I made sure I had everything lined up just perfect at TDC and then was careful to not move anything but when the belt went on and was tensioned it apparently moved things because I was one tooth off on the crank (which I immediately noticed when I test fit the pulley back on and looked at the marks). So I just had to start with the belt purposely one tooth off and then when it was tensioned it lined it back up as slick as can be.

The water pump actually wasn't leaking (though the bearing was a little sloppy so it was good to replace it). The main idler bearing (top) was the leaker (and also a little sloppy) so I was glad I replaced it. The other idler bearing was fine (tight w/no noise or rough feel) as were the seals.

I also noticed that my cap and rotor need to be replaced pretty bad so I still need to do that.

No leaks and she runs like a champ. The only thing I notice is a little bit of a "whine" or "howl" from the timing belt area. Is this normal with a new belt or did I perhaps get it too tight? There weren't any marks on the belt to indicate which side was forward so I assume these belts are symmetric and can be run either direction- is this correct? FWIW I made the lettering on the belt face the same direction as the belt I took off (which also didn't seem to have any marks indicating belt rotation direction).

Thanks for all of your help!

Joa '90 3.0L w/234k

Reply to
Joa

Hi Joe I havent done the seals, however i have done a few belts and waterpumps,

although you can do it with the radiator installed, you gonna have to drain the coolent anyways, so i take an extra 3 minutes and carefully pull the hoses and the tranny coolent lines(dont forget to plug them) and pull the radiator out, remove the front bash plate,

the only real special tools you'll need for the belt is a large breaker bar and maybe a puller of the crankshaft pulley if it doesnt come off right a way by hand(another reason to pull the radiator is if you need to get a puller in there, otherwise you'll need to use bolts and washers on the puller to get something short enough to clear the radiator)

the biggest trick is breaking loose the crankshaft bolt,

one way to do it, you have to be very very carefull, hence to reason to pull the radiator, is to put on a pair of heavy gloves and googles, pull the coil wire so the engine wont start, then put the socket and the breaker bar on the on the crankshaft nut, position the end of the breaker bar handle about 2 or 3 inches above the ground OR from the fram, so that when you hit the starter the handle will rotate and contact the ground or the fram(it only takes an couple of inches for this to work. you can try it by your self first, position the breaker bar then quickly hit the key for just a second to get one good umfffff from the starter the bolt should break loose, if the breaker falls off you might have to have someone hit the starter for you and you CAREFULLY reach under and hold the breaker, once the bolt is loose it will come out by hand, when you replace the bolt later get an 8 foot 2X4 and have someone wedge it between the ground up through the front of the car and leverage it like a friction brake against the pully to do the final tightening.

this techinque was tought to me by a mechanic and its worked perfectly every time, and you dont need to pull the starter to try and hold the ring gear like the books recommend

you have to basiclly pull the timing belt completely to get the water pump out, it comes as an assembly with a gasket, napa and everyone has one, there are two types for the V6 that im aware of, one has an extra pipe off of it i think for the auto transmission or something, but make sure you get the right pump, otherwise they look identical.

go ahead and replace the belt while you have it apart, you will also need some permatex to seal the upper water outlet housing(coming out of the cam cover) there is no gasket but there is a channel in it like there would be a small thin rubber seal), just clean out the old gasket material and re seal it after you put the timeing cover back on.

if you or a friend are handy with a stick welder you can fabricate a tool to hold the cam sprocket to remove the bolt if you dediced to replace the cam seal take a piece of angle iron or scrap about 2 feet long and well a couple of 3/4 square or round bar about 2 inches long on it so they fit against a couple of the spiders on the sprocket, then wrap the bar in tape to not damage the sprocket. you'll need to be able to hold a couple of the arms of the sprocket(you'll figure it out once you see it) but still be able to get a socket around it whole thing to break the bolt loose)

, i've never done a cam seal in the vehical, im not sure if you have to remove the rocker cover or not, but if you do then the air intake chamber on top of the engine needs to come off which is few more hour job the first time and you'll need a couple gaskets for that job too. ive never done the crank seal either,

i dont mess with seals unless i know for sure they are leaking but with the crank pulely off it should be easy to get to, the cheaper hayes manual has barely enough for you to stumble through a belt change, but chiltons is better.

it took me an entire day with cleaning the first time i did a belt, now i can do a water pump and belt in about 2 to 3 hours maybe less in my sleep, do it once and you'll be an expert good luck john

Reply to
WB7DOJ