Fix-A-Leak for power steering, Accord 93

My wife's Accord is leaking power steering fluid. I bought the Fix-A-Leak product, I figure 4 dollars is worth a try. However, from what I understand, Hondas require special power steering fluid. Basically, will it hurt her car? Even if I have seen this product on store shelves for years, I could not find any information online about the company. The package states it is compatible with "most" cars.

Otherwise, the car is in near mint condition, and I had it repainted last week. It would be a shame to destroy it a Honda. (I love my Civic)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
WooHoo2You

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you know where the leak is coming from, please tell us. Maybe it would be less risky to fix the leak rather than 'polluting' the PS fluid. . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

It's not worth it in my opinion.

Yes, you need to use Honda's PSF. Generic PSF (or ATF) will cause the seals in the rack to fail.

Probably.

"Most cars" probably doesn't include Honda.

I agree. My recommendation would be to fix the leak problem. If it's a hose that's leaking then replace it. If the pump is leaking, which usually occurs as the front seal, then the seal can be replaced. If the rack is leaking, then the best route would be to replace the rack with a rebuilt unit.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

It seems to be coming from the main reservoir, or from the tube that runs under it. However, not being three feet tall, my hands are little large to get to the problem without removing a number of unrelated pieces of the motor.

My question, would I be 'polluting my system or not?

Reply to
WooHoo2You

Count me in on the chorus that thinks it is awfully risky. Many cars use Dexron ATF or similar for power steering fluid, while Hondas won't tolerate it. I fear you may damage the seals in the rack and be far worse off than you are now.

In my experience unseen power steering leaks are from hoses, usually the high pressure side. Those are not going to be sealed by any additive because of the pressures. Maybe you can get a hand on the hose ends (where the hoses attach to the metal fittings) near the pump with a paper towel to look for wetness. If the hose is wet, replacing the hose is the only fix.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks Mike & Everyone , if it would not hurt my wife's car, it was worth a try. However, from what is the common opinion here, I will definitely try to repair it myself, or if I am unable to do so, get it fixed ASAP. I am a manager in a grocery store, so returning the item will not present a problem.

Reply to
WooHoo2You

Radiator Speciality Company makes a

. "Power Steering Fluid for Honda Vehicles"

"Specifically formulated to meet the Requirements of Honda vehicles."

What experience, if any, do people have with this product?

.
Reply to
karl