Power Steering Fluid Compatability

PSF-3 is specified in the Hyundai owners manual.

Well, in research I notice Honda does not utilize the power steering fluid that "GM, Ford, Chrysler & most foreign cars" utilize.

Does Hyundai utilize the power steering fluid that "...most foreign cars" utilize ?

My 2003 Elantra is squeaking when backing & turning out of garage.

I notice its power steering fluid well is seemingly a little low, but worry about the fluid compatability.

Surely, it won't hurt to try supplementing it with a little of additional properly compatible fluid (?).

Or should I wait until the next scheduled service at the dealer.

Its got 40,000 miles on the odometer, and is bumper to bumper covered by extended service contract, which I urge, especially for the mechanically-challenged types like me.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Hyundai uses Dexron ATF for power steering fluid.

Reply to
hyundaitech

re: Dextron ATF is what Hyundai utilizes

I have an unopened 12 ounce bottle of GUNK brand power steering fluid, and an unopened bottle of SNAP brand power steering fluid.

Though (I suppose) DEXTRON ATF will soon be another acquisition.

Apparently because of potential damage-liability phenomena, the automotive fluid supply industry avoids suggesting theot power steering suff is compatible with Hyundai.

There are no (visible to me) chemical/engineering standards-designations-specifications shown on the labels of the bottles.

Has anybody reading this ever had any trouble with utilizing non-Dextron ATF in his Hyundai power steering ?

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Why would you even consider using anything that's specifically NOT recommended? Just buy some Dextron and be done with it. It's not like it's a major purchase.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Which version of Dexron is used for the power steering? Thanks.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

re: supposed need for compatible power steering fluid adding

It seems the noise was being caused by a loose belt, which was tightened last week at scheduled oil change by a dealer.

p.s. The 2003 elantra will soon require the 60,000 mile timing belt service, which prices about $600 in the Atlanta area, unless anybody reading this knows of a quality place that's not so expensive/tres cher (?).

Reply to
Robert Cohen