FM Transmitter for Honda Civic: Battery Drain??

I recently purchased Scosche FM Transmitter for iPod & MP3 which allows me to use my non-Ipod MP3 player in my 2000 Honda Civic via the cigarette lighter. In contrast to many other units, this one really works well and has a very strong signal.

There are two potential drawbacks:

  1. Only 4 channels (88.1, 88.3, 88.5, & 88.7); but two of the channels work great for me, but it may not for others.

  1. The more critical question is if I leave the unit in the cigarette ligher, will it cause the car battery to drain? There is no on and off switch for this device. And if it doesn't drain the car battery, would keeping the device in the socket eventually cause corrosion of the metal contacts? Should I unplug and replug the device each time I start and leave the car?

I got this response from a technical rep from Schosche:

"Battery drain will depend on whether your cigarette lighter has power constantly or only when the vehicle is on."

So, with 2000 Honda Civics, does the ligher have constant power or not? I've read that some cars do and others don't.....

Thanks

Reply to
agal

This is very simple to verify. Just take the key out of the ignition, and try to use your transmitter. If it works, then the lighter has constant power.

Reply to
Bucky

All the Hondas I've been in power off the cig. lighter when the ignition is off. Some people bitch about it but I think the behavior is logical. No offense but aren't there blinky lights on your doo-dad that would make the answer obvious?

Reply to
MAT