hard to install valve stem seals

I'm doing a head gasket change on a 1987 Honda Accord 2.0liter fuel injected engine. Part of the procedure involves replacing the old valve stem seals with OEM replacements, in this case. The valve stem seals that are giving me trouble are the ones used for the exhaust valves, so there are 4 of them. Now, removing the old ones was really really hard (it took hours of pliers and prying with a flathead screwdriver), but installing the new ones seems near impossible!

Is there a trick to this? What I've tried so far is lubricating them with engine oil and then either pushing or twisting them on. I've already destroyed one by hammering it in (they're made of a metal sleeve coated with rubber, on the inside, which extends to a rubber collar around the valve -- hammering on them made the rubber collar tear).

Another approach I tried was to use a 10mm socket, which fits pretty closely on top of the metal sleeve, but does not touch the rubber collar, and a rubber mallet to hammer on it. This has worked better than the mallet directly onto the seal, which was disastrous, but I still worry that it will weaken the collar enough for the seals to fall apart sooner rather than later... Worked better in this case means I've managed to get one out of four in!

The honda shop manual and the chilton manual say nothing about proper installation procedure, yet this seems like the sort of thing where if you fatigue the part during installation, it fails spectacularly later.

So, has anyone had experience with this? How do people get these on? Should I perhaps try heating the seals?

Thanks! Teri

Reply to
slampoud

Don't use heat and don't twist them!!! Most techs will use a socket like you did and lightly tap them in place. A 10 mm socket might be a little on the small side. Try using a deep chrome 6 point 12 mm socket. This will probably sit closer to the shoulder of the seal where it has more strength. I can't remember if I used any motor oil on the valve guides. However, when I do the stem seals with the engine still in the car (and with the valve held in place with compressed air) I will use a little oil on the valve stem.

Eric

Reply to
Eric