v8 valve stem seals

Its a 3.5 on twin su's from a 89 Defender.

Which valve stem seals do I fit?

The ones that look like a flat washer seem a bit of a tight fit on the valve stem.

The smaller diameter but thicker ones seem a bit of a loose fit on the valve stem.

By the way for those of you that responded to my threads some weeks ago regarding trying to diagnose the noise this engine was making - a small piece of metal ie the curved part of the end of a spark plug was embedded in a piston crown!

Thanks

Gerald

Reply to
idris

i've fitted ford cortina valve stem seals

a bit tight but they work fine

jon

Reply to
jon

When I stripped down my V8 it didnt have any valve stem seals on so I didnt put any back! Perhaps I should have done as it smokes on start up. Still, I suppose its lubricating the cylinders!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

idris uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Don't bother, none on the 101 when stripped and advice was not to bother from our resident V8 guru.

I did replace the stems though, or at least my local engineer did.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They're meant to be tight.

In which case they won't seal. The only real "sealing" with these early types is the tight fit of the sealing washer on the stem stopping oil from running down the guide. The later "top-hat" seals (as fitted to 10-bolt heads onwards) are a proper seal and are fitted to all 16 valves, not just the inlets like the earlier types.

Ouch!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger