Having trouble parking 2007 Honda Civic

I just bought a new 2007 honda civic LX sedan. The view won't show where each corner of the front side is. How should I park avoid bumping into other cars on th left and right. Same trouble backing out of a parking spot with the rear end. So frustrating... :( Thanks in advance!

Reply to
yun.wang

The style is not unlike my old but much large Chrysler 300M. You will adjust to it. In the beginning I got out a few times and looked. Your cabforward design means that there is not much in front of you. The rear end is short too.

Reply to
Art

Mess around with some cones or maybe an empty trashcan and discover your tolerances.

Reply to
MAT

When I see dented bumpers on toyolet camry (I see them often) I think the owners discovered the tolerances by bumping into something more substantial (like 300). Did Chrysler start the Shitty Visibility (tm) with 300 or there were other precedents with cars even before that shitbox?

Reply to
isquat

I think most modern cars are in the same situation. In some countries, it is popular to install a vertical "antenna" in the front corners to show where the corners are. Otherwise, practice with some cones or other flexible objects (cardboard box, etc).

Reply to
Bucky

It also illustrates the devolution of the species. We are becoming a heard of babbling idiots soon to be unable to utterly care for ourselves.

Sad indeed...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

One of the internet places that specializes in JDM stuff has a replacement JDM bumper (for civics, I think it was) with an apparently rare option that actually raises an indicator up from the corners of the bumper when you push a button. Wish I could afford it.

Just put limo-style four jap flags in all four corners of the car and steer clear of freeways :-)

I'm puzzled why I see no 300s with dented bumpers though. Despite the poor visibility the owners must be aware of the fact that they are driving a huge pig and are careful (slow!!!) in tight spaces. I hate those parking lot crawlers. Can't they go shopping in something else???

Reply to
sndive

If they were that smart, they wouldn't have bought a Chrysler in the first place. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

The reason why you don't see 300's with dented bumpers is the huge cabins. Poor visiablilty but the front and back of the car are relatively close to the front and rear windows respectively making parking easy. Seeing a traffic light is the real problem.

Reply to
Art

Lots of modern cars have this problem. You just have to learn to guess!

Reply to
John Horner

We went from a 1991 Honda Accord to a 2006 Civic (Hybrid). Right away I found the read visibility was definitely not as good with the new car. The higher/smaller rear windows, thicker rear corner pillars and rear seat head rests all contribute to making me much less sure of what's behind me. In time, you adapt: shoulder check more carefully, etc. But I agree, it's not that great.

Reply to
Mendel Leisk

I hope you never attempt to guess if you're too close to my vehicle!

Reply to
Brian Smith

Something like:

Could use some meself for an Accord.

Does Honda offer them?

Great, they've updated the site, my security settings are breaking the display. Most dealers can probably do aftermarket stuff anyway.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Well smart guy, I haven't ever hit another vehicle. The point is that with most modern cars the driver is not able to see the corners of their car from the driver's seat. Personally I think this is a horrible design tradeoff, yet almost all new cars are like this.

Perhaps you would rather I said that a person must learn to accurately estimate where the corners of their vehicle are.

Reply to
John Horner

Hi,

in Europe, you can order sensors (built-in) original from Honda as a option. Costs about 400 dollars.

Greetz,

Chris

Reply to
Blackbird-EBOS

I have a '96 Mercury Grand Marquis that's my daily driver (another "huge pig,") but it certainly does have well-defined corners and, on top of that, sensors on front and back bumpers. But we also have a '07 Ody, which has nearly zero visibility of the front (sensors on the back only) and I've gotten used to that too. It's all in what you get used to. I'd just say practice with cones or something until you're used to the car.

Reply to
Robert

The same thing is available in Canada. But they are made for people that aren't capable of driving their vehicles.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Same here in America. Sonalarm or something like that.

Reply to
Hachiroku