Honda Branded Anti Freeze: Necessary ?

Hi,

How necessary in your expert opinions is it to use Honda branded anti-freeze ?

The 50-50 % Prestone stuff they sell says that it is O.K. for "all and any" cars.

True ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

I'm not sure that there are any true experts here...... ;-)

Even "professional" mechanics will have different answers to this question, ranging from "it's all the same stuff", to "use anything but the Honda brand at your peril".

When I am purchasing a used car, I check to see how often the coolant was changed. The brand of fluid does not concern me, and I have been using Prestone and similar brands without issue in all of my motor vehicles for almost

25 years.

Pat

Reply to
pws

if you need proof that coolant quality matters, read this:

further reading:
all this said, a quality non-silicate coolant, with a good corrosion inhibitor package, with de-ionized water, should be safe enough. if you don't /know/ it's non-silicate, and you don't /know/ it has a good corrosion inhibitor package, sticking with the manufacturer brand is the guaranteed safe way to go.

Reply to
jim beam

That makes sense to me. Thanks for the links and information.

I have always used a major brand over the econo stuff anyway, which is probably a very good thing.

Pat

Reply to
pws

OEM for me.

Reply to
Tony Harding

The smart decision.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Reply to
Howard

In my anecdotal experience of owning 5 Hondas, your best bet is Honda fluids. Motor oil might be the exception.

Reply to
MG