Micra 'Tempest': What Anti-freeze?

Hi all: not tried this forum before so be gentle ;-)

Rather out of touch with car tinkering though I used to do loads.

Just changed the rad on a NISSAN MICRA TEMPEST 3 DOOR HATCHBACK 998cc (2002-07-10) PETROL

The 'coolant' such as it was was rather rusty, and was probably nearly all water as there was a long term slow leak in the old rad before it finally blew.

Looking up antifreezes, I find a lot of hype about types, and not a lot of certainty about which model micra is being referred to in each case; and whether special types are needed or not.

So can someone here tip me off as to what antifreeze I should be using to avoid any more rust; and how much I should need (Southern UK: car outside all the time, but used every day.)

Also note there is no drain plug on the bottom of the rad, so is the antifreeze just supposed to go in the plastic 'header' reservoir, or does one have to loosen the bottom hose to let some water out, in order to add the requisite amount of coolant to the rad itself? (How does the stuff in the 'header' get circulated anyway?)

Much obliged for useful words from the experienced,

Cheers,

Spamlet

This is Usenet; *some* folk get touchy being compared to Internet forums, although not the regulars here. It pre-dates the WWW by some 10 years!

Usual procedure is to remove the bottom hose to drain, put in the required amount of anti-freeze, then top up with water.

There may be specific methods to bleed any air-locks for the Micra; if so, someone will post soon.

Autodata gives the coolant capacity as 4.1 litres, so you're not going to need much!

Safest bet is to buy from a dealer. As you have found, there are so many different types, and opinions as to the ability to mix them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris,

I was using 'forum' in the literal sense, not the internet sense, and I find the Usenet groups just about the most useful part of the whole online experience. It is a great source of information without the space and time waste of opening web pages. Sad that microsoft; virgin and others are trying to force us all onto their useless by comparison, web interfaces.

Still very surprised to find few if any sources of auto mechanics information on line. Almost any other device I have, I can download a manual or hand book for nothing. For cars, all there seems to be is sales brochures for new ones. On the other hand, spares ordering, once one has the info, has greatly improved the diy experience!

Cheers,

Spamlet

if you want to know too much about anti-freeze then look here:

for your vehicle any ordinary anti freeze will do if it is ethylene glycol based, many car shops sell GM pink anti-freeze, that can go in anything and is long life.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks MrC, I now know a lot about the sales pitch of eetcorp at least. I can see their point but I can't say I've *ever* seen anyone top up a rad with anything but tap water! I may try a compromise from the rain water butt with this fill though.

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet