Honda Civic performance in snow

How does the Civc do in snowy conditions? I am considering buying a Civic, but a buddy who has a 98 says it's terrible in slippery conditions. I live in a mountainous part of British Columbia where a vehicle that handles well in winter conditions is essential. Presently I drive a Subaru Imprezza but I want improved fuel economy.

Reply to
rm_blizzard

---------------------------

Snow handling is mostly based on good tires. Good tires on a Civic can out-perform bad tires on my awd CR-V. Real snow tires on all four is the way to go. Treat yourself. Start shopping for some rims to put them on.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Snow tires all round are a given. I have Nokian Hakkapeliittas on my Subaru. So I should have no problems if I go with something similar on a Civic?

Reply to
rm_blizzard

------------------------------

Correct me if I'm missing something, but isn't the Sube an AWD and the Civic would be FWD (only), right? That would be a day and night comparison. Even my (underpowered) '97 CR-V can blow away the acceleration of any FWD vehicle when the light turns green at an icy intersection. Four wheels pushing and better snow clearance are fantastic advantages on snow-covered ice.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I was thinking the same thing: if you're used to an AWD vehicle in the snow, you're likely to be sorely disappointed with a FWD vehicle, no matter how good it handles snow.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I typically buy a new pair of tires every year for the front (and rotate last years). Though tires are rated 3-4 years at my mileage, the performance improvement is noticeable. Plus its an inexpensive why to purchase confidence.

Reply to
rick++