Snow tires on a Loyale

Hey folks,

Since in another 10,000 miles it'll be time to replace the all-season tires on my 91 Loyale 4WD, I'm considering getting a nice set of snow tires for winter use. However, I've heard that putting snow tires on my car will destroy the 4WD system slowly, because it will remove much of the slippage between the front and rear wheels in slippery conditions. (Yeah, I know better than to use my 4WD on dry pavement. )

Any truth to this? I'll also be calling up the local Subaru dealer's service office tomorrow and asking their opinion - just wanted to get some input from people who've done it. I realize these older Subarus are often used as off-road beaters, but mine is a hardworking daily driver that I plan on making last for quite a long time, so the possibility of damage is a definate concern.

I suspect this information isn't correct, but rather lore of some sort. Again, though, I want to be sure before I stake my 4WD components on it. . .

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Decimal Cat

Where did you get that strange theory? Buy whatever you can afford Make them all the same brand and size End of story Enjoy your driving

Reply to
No Way

Im my experience, snow tire will not wear the 4WD at all. I have ALWAYS installed snow tires on all my Subies and they are gread. I had older 4WD models and newer AWD models and they are no problems at all.

I have a friend that put some 186/80R13 on his 1992 Loyale They are much bigger than stock but they are great in snow. Also they look great, much nicer looking than the stock size. It almost adds an "OUTBACK" look to the car. However, they change the speedometer reading by almost 10%

I used to ride my 1988 RX with 185/80R13 in winter and 205/60R13 in summer

As for the brand, most snow tire are OK. Personnaly I am not satisfied with my Gislaved North Frost2. They almost feel like four seasons tires but a had a good experience with the Cooper wintermark. They are great in snow but noisy and average on ice. Same thing for Canadian tire Nordic Wintertrak (OEM Bfgoodrich).

Charles Leblanc

2000 Impreza wagon
Reply to
Charlez

I have Cooper weathermaster snow tires, and the difference is like night and day! Cooper has a higher grade of snow tire, but not in the size that fits my

84 4wd tercel wagon.......13 inch
Reply to
Fx199

Cooper used to make the Wintermaster ... an awesome tread design for deep snow. Other companies make a Wintermaster with the same tread. Highly recommended in a narrow profile size!

I'm running a generic "Widetrack SR" which is essentially a small truck tire in a 14" size. The size that I have is a little wide for deeper snow and tends to swim a bit but grips like mad in windblown snow, packed snow, or slush. A really nice tire and looks good with the white raised lettering.

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

Weather-master is Cooper's snow tire series now. Weather-master xgr is their top of the line. As far as utilizing a small truck truck tire, I like Goodyear wranglers.

Cooper and Goodyear are the only american tire companies that I know of. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson and Hercules also.

Reply to
Fx199