Honda CRV-2004

I made the mistake of trying to make a green light by revving up my CRV-2004 engine to about 6-7K rpm mark in 1st gear from stop (I have a manual 5 speed). 6-7k is slightly above the red line. I didn't have the time to change gears. The light was changing. I revved it up to that level at a steady pace - I didn't gun it.

Is it possible that my cylinder walls are damaged and robbing me of compression? Hairline fractures in my crankshaft? Any damage possible here?

Thanks

Reply to
J Huntley Palmer

J Huntley Palmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

The only damage is to your pride. Don't worry about it, but don't do it again.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

================================

You didn't rev it HIGH ENOUGH, if you didnt' feel it start sputtering when the computer automatically cuts the spark.

No worry. Hondas like to be revved. :-)

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Thanks Curly, that was an interesting piece of info. I didn't even realize RPM overages were regulated by the computer. So its not possible to redline a CR-V 2004? Please tell me more about Honda engines and revving..

Thanks

Reply to
J Huntley Palmer

---------------------------------

Some of the newest Hondas won't even let you hit 4,000 RPM if you're in neutral or park. Pilot, I think. The computer just kills the INJECTORS to bring the revs back down. I think I was wrong when I said spark previously. Lots of people around here know more about this interesting 'feature'.

I know my '97 and '00 CR-V's both kill the injectors when coasting. You can see the tach almost hit 300 RPM before it fires back up. Manual tranny models may be a bit different.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

J Huntley Palmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Sure it's possible to overrev....go to redline in second and downshift to first. The computer cannot stop the engine from being 'mechanically' overreved.

Reply to
Nobody

Huntley can do that, (since he has a manual tranny) but the automatic version of the CR-V won't let the tranny shift down when it's close to redline. The manual says you can flip the lever but the tranny won't downshift until you slow down to an appropriate speed. Fairly idiot-proof.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'