1991 Gas jetta 8v auto help

OK yesterday was a really cold day here. I started my car no problem...and drove off..made it on the highway and my gas pedal was stuck to the floor. couldn't slow down..got scared put it in neutral for a split second and car revved right up so jammed it back in gear ASAP. and then had to shut it off and coast to a stop.

got that issues resolved was just water in the throttle cable lien that froze. all is fixed there.

but today...my oil light came on...so I checked my oil was a tad low..toped it up...and light was off. but came back later...seams to come on when at idle and I noticed real fast that it looks like I got oil on the front of my block. temps runs fine car runs great. haven;to had a chance to check oil level but seams to be fine now. could I of damaged my oil pump maybe by over revving by mistake when the gas was stuck on? I'm guessing it was about 9-10 000 RPM way over red line... I know a fair amount about cars and do allot of my own work...but never on a jetta.

need advice where to start looking? car has 234 000 KM and always had synthetic oil it runs perfect before yesterday...but now sound like it may have a loud tick....

please help

sorry for long post just wanted to be sure all info was there.

Reply to
Darren

The typical high mileage oil light on trick at around 2700 to 3000 RPM. It sounds like you might have aggrevated something with the high RPM neutral hit which I bet was more than a split second. How long was the engine floored in neutral? Do you hear any new knocking sounds? And finally, time to change the oil with 20W50 synthetic. The syn oil probably saved your hi rev moment. If you have a stuck to the floor peddle, never do that neutral trick again. Use brakes and then shut off the engine and coast like you did.

Reply to
Peter Parker

More. Loud tick could mean you floated a valve spring which got compressed too hard and now won't come back and has become a lazy spring. You have to take off the valve cover and find the weak spring. Do you have any low dull sounding knocking noises near the oil pan? That would indicate a spun crankshaft bearing. Some knocking is normal so don't get worried there.

The lazy spring might eventually come back but I would try 20W50 synthetic first. A new oil change really helps flush away the goop. You could put in some oil flush and run it for 10 minutes. Sometimes you might have some crap logged in with a valve tap and the flush could clear it up.

Try the easy cheap ideas first.

Reply to
Peter Parker

well the tick I hear now is only some times and from the valve train.

now here is the kicker. after checking the oil and letting it sit for 8 hrs on flat ground..I have found that when I added oil I only added about 1 Littre and now it has about 3-4 littres too much. and it is oil not any coolant. although it's very dirty oil.

I drove it for a slight bit and it sounded like a diesel with the new tick. but that tick is only there for a short time leaves when car is warm.

also when I had to drive it, (I now shouldn't go far with that much oil too much) I noticed sometimes it had no power at all, and other times it ran like a brand new motor.

my idle problem is fixed now steady idle witch I'm happy with and my oil is filthy dirty. so I'm thinking that maybe for some reason I had a blockage that was holding oil...and the high revs broke the blockage free and now that extra oil has dripped down...and it is dirty?

regardless my first step is a new oil change and to keep a very close eye and ear on it. and if worst comes to worst, might have to rebuild that head. sounds top end related not bottom end at all.

Thank you very much for your time and advice. :)

Reply to
Darren

Yeah change that oil, use a MANN (read good) oil filter and that noise might just disappear for good. ;-)

I did buy one VW that had the throttle stuck wide open while the engine was cold and it did cause some cyl head damage as the owner drove it to me. After reconditioning the cylinder head, or another cyl. head, all was well again.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to