Honda "Drive by Wire" question... what if the power goes out?

Uh huh. Please name a single car with such steering. One example should be enough.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The Automatomobile, which is featured in several Isaac Asimov stories.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You're not categorically rejecting change here.

-- Honda home studies:

Elle

system

when

idea of truly

get lost.

actual, specific

airplane in

accurate phrase)

difference is

other is utterly

That last comment is a bit too sweeping, or a bit misleading, for me to buy.

Some of the outcomes of reduced emissions regulations have made automobiles less trouble-prone. That's good for the driver-owner.

on current

cars and do not

I agree people are throwing around this phrase very loosely here.

But folks love to kvetch, so... :-)

Reply to
Elle

cT = 0.99

Reply to
jim beam

Sure sounds like the marketing department drivel to me. The engineers were probably cringing.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

OK. A couple months back, one of the major news networks had a "Car of the future" thing talking about future concepts, and one of them was a fully fuel cell car, which had adaptable body/interior features, very spacious interior (It looked like it skimped on safety to do so, being a prototype, and might have been intended for a world where everything went 20-30 mph, though it was underprotected even so IMO) So there are such projects out there, and aircraft have done this for some years.

Long story short, it had a full steer by wire/drive by wire system that the demonstrator gushed over. I don't like the idea. "Autodrive" cars they are working on aren't my thing either.

When the Honda salesperson said "No mechanical, it is all drive by wire" I figured it was like the one I had seen on TV,and the salesperson basically seemed to agree when I asked. So since the dealership person was saying it I figured I would ask on here, because I have had experience with a car losing power at speed and it is not fun, even with residual steering left after power steering fails, With drive by wire it could be worse.

If the sales line the dealers are using is wrong, thank you for informing me. I wish Honda would, because I am going on their word here.

Reply to
David E. Powell

OK. A couple months back, one of the major news networks had a "Car of the future" thing talking about future concepts, and one of them was a fully fuel cell car, which had adaptable body/interior features, very spacious interior (It looked like it skimped on safety to do so, being a prototype, and might have been intended for a world where everything went 20-30 mph, though it was underprotected even so IMO) So there are such projects out there, and aircraft have done this for some years.

Long story short, it had a full steer by wire/drive by wire system that

the demonstrator gushed over. I don't like the idea. "Autodrive" cars they are working on aren't my thing either.

When the Honda salesperson said "No mechanical, it's drive by wire" I figured it was like the one I had seen on TV,and the salesperson basically seemed to agree from the jist of the conversation. So since the dealership person was saying it I figured I would ask on here, because I have had experience with a car losing power at speed and it is not fun, even with residual steering left after power steering fails, With drive by wire it could be worse.

So, from the details I had heard, this is what I felt it was; a true drive by wire, which I would be wary of due to my experience.

Reply to
David E. Powell

Fiction doesn't count as an example. If you haven't a single real world example, perhaps it's time to put your strawman argument away.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I was taught this once, but like other stuff we don't use, you forget it go in a general since, it works like this:

In the GM throttle body, it has 3 electronic signals to compare to, one being a mirror of itself. If it looses two of them then there may be an issue (I believe) If you were to have an catastrophic failure, the car goes to limp home mode and gives you a crawl speed.

Reply to
Steve H

and instead of investing that money on a DECENT small car design, they blow it.

meanwhile, the japanese took the money they made off selling excellent small cars and trucks, and invested it in making bigger trucks. the tundra is a really nice truck! course it should be, since the engine design was based on the lexus LS series.

Reply to
SoCalMike

I'm getting a real kick out of reading all the wire=boo!, mechanical=yeah! luddite comments. Must be a buncha young whippersnappers with no history under their belt. Two cases in point. One, blown hydraulic hose on a '67 Ford Mustang. Fortunately, I got it to the side of the freeway before the fluid was completely drained. Second, '72 Dodge van, borderline stripped spines of universal joint (mechanical) to hydro steering gearbox finally reaches yield point and suddenly way to much slippage of rotating steering wheel yields little/no corresponding front wheel response. IOW, I'm coming hard hard a'stabard, but the front wheels are not!! Both incidences were not "catastrophic" but I can assure you they were too damn close for my tastes and I was damn lucky to not suffer a "world o' hurts"!

Bottom line: shit happens

nb

Reply to
notbob

Tell it to a bumblebee.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Where do you people come up with this crap!? Twenty-five years ago, me and my buddies spent 5 hours stranded in the middle of a huge lake because the electronic ignition on the state-of-the-art motor took a digital dump.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's old news in cars, too. I recall being completely amazed upon reading the Helm manual for my girlfriend's 2 yr old '87 Cad De Ville and learning I could access and read and manually manipulate all the car's control voltages from the environmental control display. And sure enough, the throttle valve opening was a 0-10 volt range from all the way closed to all the way open. My first look at the wide world of car computers! Quite the revelation for me at the time.

nb

Reply to
notbob

This is a good example of who benefits & who is penalized, i.e., ABS undoubtedly saves more asses/lives than it costs.

I can understand why manufacturers would put automated vehicle stability on unstable vehicles like SUVs, same logic as above.

Reply to
Sparky Spartacus

Huh?

(I'm aware that according to early engineering estimates bumblebees should not be able to fly)

Reply to
Sparky Spartacus

Wow, have you told Intel, AMD, HDD manufacturers, etc., etc.?

Reply to
Sparky Spartacus

If these guys' thinking had predominated, we'd still be living in caves and hoping the fire doesn't go out.

Reply to
Sparky Spartacus

Do you wear seat belts or do you worry about being trapped in your vehicle in the 0.0001% of the time that's an issue?

Reply to
Sparky Spartacus