Honda Odyssey 1996

My Honda Odyssey has 106,000 miles on it. The dealership service center says I need: front motor mount $320-330; outer cv boots $330-380 OR new axle at $500-600; decarb and throttle service $162; power steering fluid change $89.95 (squealing when hard turning both ways); front sway bar bushings $170-200.

Also my air conditioner/heater system knob adjuster (internal to dashboard not external) broke and is stuck in position at "heat" and they say this will cost $95 just to look at and maybe $600-700 to repair.

So which of these items are the highest priority to repair? Should I get a second opinion and are these estimates within normal range for these types of repairs.

I need to buy a new car and plan to do so shortly so I don't want to put more into the car than necessary to make it run properly. I could just bag the repairs and use it as a trade-in (but I have always been advised against using trade-ins when buying new cars.)

Please advise!

Reply to
jbsomers

Your highest priority is to STOP BELIEVING THAT THE DEALER IS _GOD_ ! !

Give your head a shake. You can walk into NAPA and buy the sway bar kit for under $20 and change it yourself or let someone with air tools do in in about 6 minutes.. You can search gOOGLE and take the instructions about the heater control to any independant mechanic and get it fixed in just a few minutes. You can get him to tighten your PS belt to stop the screaming, and he might even tell you the truth about your outer CV boots and the motor mount. While he's applying LockEase to your heater cable, get him to swab out the throttle body, since it's way easier to get at the water valve cable when the air intake is off. Look at diagrams at

for exploded views while you're online.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_