Cabin Air Filter

Have a 2000 Accord V6. Has anyone change the cabin air filter? I know it can get involved and am not too sure if it is a doable DIY job. Comments. MLD

Reply to
MLD

You can do it, but if my 2000 Accord SE is any indication, it's a hassle, at least the first time. It's kind of annoying to pay the labor charge for a shop to do it, but what's an hour of your time worth?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

If it is anything like my old 01 Prelude, it entails removal of the glove box and cutting of a brace. You will need to look at a service manual to do it to be safe.

Reply to
tww1491

No brace cutting, as I recall, but you do have to remove the glove box and it's a pain. That's assuming the procedure for your V6 is the same as for my SE.

I used Purolator filters (you'll need two). Either they came with instruction sheets or I downloaded the instructions from Purolator, I don't remember which. I have a copy of the instructions I can send you if you want it (it's a PDF file, 423 KB).

Reply to
Paul

For the first time, yes, you must cut a brace. It's that way on all

98-02 Accords.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

-----------------------------------

The second generation Odyssey has a plastic brace that has to be CUT the first time you change the cabin filter(s). Its part of the assembly process, but not needed once the dash is together. I wouldn't be surprised if its true of the '00 Accord.

Google is sometimes the fastest way to find out such answers . .

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

That was about four years ago. I now have a 2004 accord and they made it much easier to change that filter. I do recall it being a pain because you have to pull the plastic panel off that is under the glove box. there maybe a couple of screws too remove also. Don't forget to save the filter holders because they don't come with the new ones. there is two filters.

Reply to
Dick

"MLD" wrote in news:vR4Yh.2714$YI1.1536@trndny04:

I have done it last week on a 01. Used Micronair filters (you need 2 filters). Took about an hour. It is a hassle, especially the first time, you have to take out trim panels and the glove box. This was the 3rd change (one was done by dealer, other 2 by me). The filters were pretty black and filthy, so I would say change it at least every 30000 miles or 2 years if not sooner.

Reply to
Ed

I have a 2003 Accord and changing it was a breeze. Emptied the glove compartment, pulled the plastic tab(s) on the side(s) of the glove box towards the center so the glove box can hinge all the way out and down, then reached in and slide out the little tray, removed the old filter, put in the new filter, slis the tray back in, pulled up the glove box lid so it would return to the normal open position, reinserted all of the junk, closed the lid.............done. Took about 5-10 minutes.

Reply to
Wayne L

The 2000 Accord is different from the 2003 Accord.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I have a 98 Accord. I have changed the a/c filters 3-4 times so far. Honestly I don't recall ever CUTTING a brace. I do remember taking out several screws to remove a cross brace below the glove box. First time, it took me about an hour. Subsequent times about 30 minutes. Strongly recommend to do it in a garage or warm weather to increase the flex of the plastic panels. They WILL discolor or break if flexed too far especially in colder weather.

Reply to
Matthew

That brace is there solely to assist during assembly of the car at the factory.

The factory instructions for replacing the cabin air filter involve cutting that brace if it's there.

I believe it even has relief marks stamped into it to assist said cutting.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thats funny! I've changed litterly hundreds of these and never had to cut any thing. The Odesey and the Pilot both have a plastic brace that needs removed. The 98 - 2002 Accords just have screws, some well hidden behind plastic covers (center console, and knee bolster). I recomend reading a service manual before attempting this.

Reply to
Skate

Here is a link to a great set of instructions on changing them, and they use a 1998 accord as an example. 98-02 Accords should be the same.

RoundRockMike

Reply to
RoundRockMike

That is a pain in the ass to fix.