how much to expect to pay for registration transfer

How much would it be reasonable to pay for transferring an existing, valid license/tag over to a new car? In case it matters, the registration/tag was just renewed (prior to purchase of new car) and the new tag is valid for entire year of 2012.

Just to make it clear, I have an existing license plate from trade-in, registration and tag (valid all of next year 2012) and am transferring this plate/registration/tag to new Honda.

Honda dealer has quoted "..Tag/Registration Fees(estimate): $298.75...."

I don't know if this is state specific but would appreciate any insight as I would hate to discover that I am paying an estimate and would never find out the true amount paid by dealer to do the transfer.

Reply to
Mary

"Mary" wrote in news:jd0qt1$2q7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

License plates and registrations are a state matter, so they vary from one to the other. Where are you?

Transfers are /usually/ pretty inexpensive. Sounds like your dealer is marking this item up severely.

Why don't you just do it yourself?

Reply to
Tegger

That sounds very high and my guess is like $50 or less if you do it yourself. Call you local motor vehicle registration office (doesn't matter which office as long as it's in your state) and ask them. They should be able to give you the exact cost. Also ask them what form of payment they accept (cash, check, credit card) as well as what you need to bring with you inorder to do this transaction (ie: proof of insurance, etc...).

Reply to
Doug

Based on her OP, it's clear she's a blonde...

Reply to
Clemenza

Yes, it is very dependent on where you live as the maximum cost of new tags and registration varies. That's what that fee is, the maximum it could possibly be. In NY (where I live) the dealer charges the max and then sends a refund for that amount minus the actual amount.

Reply to
Seth