ontario license plate transfer or get new plate? (for another car I just bought)

I got my car certified and emissioned and as soon as the ownership is mailed to me I plan to have the license plate transferred from my car to the new car. However I am just thinking whether is its worth it to maybe get a new set of license plates altogether at a cost of $80 or so. That way i will still get to drive my previous car just in case this recently bought vehicle has problems (after all it is a used car too). But if I do this and a few weeks down the road, I decide to junk the old car, I would have on my hand a set of license plate that isn't registered to any vehicle. What happens in this situation? do I have to return the plate to the Ministry of Transportation? or can I just keep it on hand until the sticker expire later this year on my birthday ? What happens then? are the plates then invalid and I can hang it on the wall for memories of my old car? Suppose I can hold on to it? Can I then reused it later on, say in 2009 when I suddenly won the 6/49 and ran out and buy a myself nice Corvette? Just wondering, as I am sure people have been in this scenario before.

By the way, I am worry because the people who sold me the car haven't sent me the ownership for my car yet, even though I already paid for it, but they promise it will be in the mail. In the worst case scenario, if I don't have the piece of paper, is there anything I can do to get myself one at the MTO if in fact I have proof (paid in full receipt) & certification & emission papers as well as a 10days-trip- permit which now expires. thanks in adavance

Reply to
Joseph

Are you keeping insurance on the old car? If not, they you still can't drive it, now matter how it is plated.

If you do end up taking the plates back before your birthday, you will get a small refund.

You can hang the plates on your wall right now. Doesn't matter when the sticker expires, they are your plates. As long as you don't have them on a car, they are yours to hang wherever you like.

Yes you can. You just have to go back to the ministry and have them transfer those plates to your new Vette, and purchase a new sticker for it.

After my father sold his last car, he put his personalized plates on his wall because they had sentimental value.

You should always get the ownership from the sellers *before* you pay for the car. There's no reason they shouldn't have it, as it is supposed to be in the car at all times. If I were you, I would give them a call and see what is going on with it. If they say they can't find it, or something, and you have an actual receipt, they you can probably go to the ministry and pay for a new ownership. I can't say for certain though. The ownership is usually needed before they can do anything. What was the reason the sellers didn't give it to you when you bought the car? What about the Sellers Kit? Did you get that?

Reply to
80 Knight

I'll bet your insurance company will have something to say about that.

You really need to ask these kinds of questions of the proper organizations. It's quite hard to believe these questions are really being asked, but what you need to do is call your ministry of transportation and your insurance company and ask them. The internet is a bad place to turn to for answers to questions that involve government agency policies and insurance companies. Worse - you seem to lack any understanding of what is required to legally drive a car. You should start with your MOT and don't hang up or walk away until you really, clearly understand these things.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I went today and had the plate transferred to the newly purchased car. They also gave me a new ownership for my vehicle. They only had to do a search on their computer and it shows the car is in my name so they gave me a new ownership, but it costs $15.

Anyway, I went ahead and transfer the plate, as the lady suggested, she also gave me a 10-day permit for the old car as a back up for 10 days, in case the new used car breaks down. After that i will probably drive it to the junk yard and get a few bucks for it, or maybe sell it to somebody.

Thanks all for the comments.

Reply to
Joseph

I already called up the insurance company and have them insure all cars until further notice. they said to call them back so they can cancel the insurance on the old car when I get rid of it, which has to be 10 days from now.

Reply to
Joseph

You obviously didn't look at the MTO website did you? As these questions are answered there?

Reply to
Snow