I'm #2 !!! Most stolen car

Now that's the mentality the new car dealers depend on...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It's amazing on how far we've "come."

Just about anywhere on the east or west coast(s), they'd be pro, er persecuting you for protecting your life, never mind your stuff.

Here in Texas, well it just ain't a healthy thing to trespass uninvited especially at night. Very slim chance that you'd prosecuted here. Just a couple of weeks ago, a neighbor (of an apparant burglary victim) called

911 that his neighbor's house was being broken into and that he was about to go and shoot the perps. He shot 'em both dead and no charges are pending...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Even when one does not drive a great deal, the longer you keep your vehicle the farther ahead of the curve you are. Most manufacturers don't even expect the average car to last ten years. You can figure on a 10% attrition rate yearly and by the time ten years comes along, way less than 50% of that year's model have bit the dust.

The sheeple, most of whom subscribe to "Keepin' up with the Smiths," play an important role in the economy. Oddballs such as you and me/Elle etc. reap the benefits of other people's investments, er, spending.

Maybe you should spring for a rattle can paint job on the old gal's 300K anniversary...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote: This was true even in the now Communist republic of Kanada,

then get the f*ck out. No one is forcing you to stay here.

Reply to
babbler

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:1xm8j.255497$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

It's interesting that Honda will continue to make and stock parts as long as there is demand. My local parts guy tells me he still orders parts for Acuras from the '80s.

A few parts for my car are now discontinued, but most everything I'd normally need to replace is still in stock.

I just like the old girl. I like knowing the car's history, and planning new projects for her. In the spring it's timing belt time again. :^)

Plus, to me anyway, there's a certain coolness that derives from /not/ following the herd.

And cover up all that original paint? No way José.

I did just spend $500 having the hood professionally repainted last year. I need to have it done every five years or so on account of stone chips.

Reply to
Tegger

babbler wrote in news:fjsvoo$kf2$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

True, but /leaving's/ not the problem. Getting /into/ the US is the problem.

Reply to
Tegger

Can I just do that? My 91's roof does lack something in shinyness and, well, consistency. I thought about having a paint job done but it's expensive and if I were going to spend that amount ($700 or so I think) I'd rather look into having the shocks done. But spray paint, that I can handle.

Now that I think about it, there is some sort of paint sprayer in the garage. I'll have to open the box and see what it is.

Reply to
dgk

"Tegger" wrote

I was going to post that inability to get parts might be the death knell for my 91 Civic. The fact that slhondaparts.com stopped selling parts for cars 1991 and earlier is a bad sign.

Plus again all that fun. I apply the principles to stock investing as well. Old companies purchased at a value; nothing flashy just reliable and with high mileage from dividends. :-)

... a certain security, a certain je-ne-se-quoi, because the herd seems increasingly broke. We're ahead of the game. We're survivors for the long run.

Plea: Guilty (well for a bit of touchup especially around those rear tire wells).

Reply to
Elle

Incapable of intelligent discourse, eh?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yes, Honda almost appears alone in that regard. I can still order most parts for the Gen 2 Civics although much better bargains can be had on eBay for closeouts etc.

Knowing what you have is half the battle. The other half is not having a burning desire to keep up with style.

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... Fly down to messyco and sneak across from that end. If you have a valuable "skill," you'll have it made!

(Lawn care experience helps...)

Oh, don't bother learning engrish... That'll hold you back..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Just go down to Harbor Freight for the gun/compressor and eBay for cheap single stage paint.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

"Elle" wrote in news:13m59vjnrc0oid0 @corp.supernews.com:

They just won't carry them, that's all. Honda corporate still has most of them somewhere. I suspect there's only so much work San Leandro is willing to perform and still do business on the Internet.

Many parts for my car must now be shipped in from the various central warehouses, usually the Vancouver one in British Columbia and the Montreal one in Quebec. One part I ordered once had to be shipped directly from Japan. In addition, Honda Canada will sometimes purchase parts from American Honda, piggybacking on AH's greater stockpiles.

As long as demand exists, Honda will continue to commission a production run until the newest car it's for is 20 years old, or even older. Sometimes they will save up backorders until they figure they've got enough demand to justify a new run, meaning it may take months for your brand-new part to arrive.

Mechanical parts normally remain in good supply for a very long time. Honda will help things along with "rationalization", where they will retool one part so it fits more models than it originally was meant to fit, extending parts availability. Distributor rotors and brake pads are good examples of this phenomenon.

The kind of parts that are outright discontinued and no longer in stock are usually the sort nobody ever replaces, like the heater intake cover inside the cowl, and many trim and interior pieces. Body parts are also often discontinued because there's usually a goodly stock of used parts in wrecking yards, so nobody buys new ones.

Reply to
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:S0z8j.46394$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

O habilidades de cosechar lechuga...

No hablo Ingles, hombre.

Ahora debo comprar un lowrider. Doink!

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote Elle wrote

Similarly, Majestic Honda in Rhode Island U.S. has long cautioned customers that occasionally it will have to have a part shipped from some central warehouse before shipping to the customer. So I tend to believe you're right.

Indeed, the local U-Pull-It in my former neck of the woods has been a blast. I haven't had to rely on it for critical repairs so far, but maybe this is because I have stayed on top of things, for the most part. I do get to do a little "investigatory work" there, when I am not sure how to get something off my own car. IOW, the stripped down cars are a great education. (I am one fun date?)

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:13m5qevct030he5 @corp.supernews.com:

I have a fantastic U-Pull type yard only a few miles from me. Lots of older Integras, Accords and Civics in various states of disassembly. And like you say, a great education in how stuff goes on and comes off.

And some of those crashed cars...Really sobering. The worst are those with blood on the seats and no more driver's footwell left...

The only problem for me is that most of my parts are in better shape than the ones on the wrecks, so I usually end up buying new anyway...

When the snow melts and the mud dries up, I should take some pics of this place.

Reply to
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:R_y8j.46388$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

but when the interior and trim(plastics) begins degrading,and the car has a million rattles and squeaks,then it's nice to get a new car. you folks up North don't have the intense sun degradation we have in the southern US. OTOH,you have salted roads in the winter.... (although living near the seacoast also corrodes autos.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:S0z8j.46394$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I can't imagine that long a line for Canadians to become legit US citizens or get green cards. Seems like a lot of Canuck actors & actresses manage it. 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:D2z8j.46398$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

there's always Earl Schieib(sp?) and similar places.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9A06CBEEF3F10jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85:

Cold weather does have its advantages. Interior is perfect outside of sun fading and localized salt deposits in the carpets.

My own ears are very poor and unreliable. One of them does not work, the other has a hearing aid stuck in it. For these reasons I cannot tell what rattles/squeaks my car has or where they come from if present.

My wife, whose hearing is thankfully impeccable, tells me my car has no rattles or squeaks of any kind, which I find kind of astonishing. There is plenty of mechanical noise, but no rattles or squeaks. Well, there is just one sort of a sizzle noise that occasionally comes from the driver's seat belt upper mount, but that goes away if you put the belt on or push on the rear quarter trim with your hand.

New car: Air bags galore Side air bag OPDS OBD-II Intrusive EVAP system P0420 Two oxygen sensors Everything electronic Even more plastic than I've got.

Old car: You need to ask?

No thanks. I'll just live with the old-car foibles. Yes, old cars can be annoying, but new cars contain a fright factor I don't care to get involved with just now.

Treat the old girl like the old girl she is and you'll be fine. I can't afford to peel rubber at every stoplight like I used to any more, but then again I'm not 29 years old any more either...

Salted roads are worse than a crumbly, sagging headliner and cracked dash. Believe me.

I have a pic somewhere I took two summers ago of a chain link fence at Redondo Beach. The side facing the ocean is corroded to holes. The other side still has the zinc coating on it. Amazing.

Reply to
Tegger