Location of Wiper Relay

93 accord Lx 4Dr auto

Does anybody know the location of the wiper relay? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ianegon007

According to my Chilton book, there should be a large multi-function unit above the left kick panel. This unit controls the operation of the wipers, seat belt buzzer, key chime, and other features that depend on time measurements. There is also a separate intermittent relay in the right rear corner of the engine compartment (under the relay box).

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Helm manual places it under the hood, attached to the fuse/relay box at the firewall on the passenger side. If I read the picture right it is at the front outside corner *under* the box, not inside the box itself. No wonder you couldn't find it anywhere. Wiring colors grn/blk, blu/wht, blk, grn/red and blu/wht.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Ianegon007" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

What's wrong with your wipers?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for all your replies. I'll look for it in the morning.

As for what is wrong... I posted something a week ago about how the wipers don't want to turn off no matter what position they are in. The only thing I could do is remove the wiper fuse, but that also kill the fans for my radiator and A/C. (no idea what these two have in common, but I know they are wired somehow)

Somebody suggested removing the stalk plug for the wiper switch and I did that, but it still kills the fans. I really have no clue what the heck is going on, so I want to see if maybe the wiper relay was bad, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for all your help everybody.

Reply to
Ianegon007

Found it! And the problem was there. A burnt wire that was causing a short. After some splicing my wipers work like normal.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Reply to
Ianegon007

"Ianegon007" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j52g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

My question is "why did the wire burn to begin with??"

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have no idea. But if it happens again, I'll know where to look.

Reply to
Ianegon007

If it doesn't cause the rest of the car to burn, first.

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Ianegon007" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

The next time it happens,you may have an electrical FIRE.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

A lot depends on whether the wire was burned at the end or evenly along its length. If only at the end, the relay socket is bad and will heat it up again. Replacing the socket is the only fix short of soldering the relay to the wire. It isn't likely to start a fire, but it will be an ongoing headache until fixed.

If the wire is burned along the length, you need to check the fuse rating. Fuse ratings are normally selected to protect the wiring.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The wire was burnt closer to the socket. (Inch or so) It looked like at one point somebody had spliced into it. There was electrical tape hanging on the wire and exposing a section. I cut the wire, added an extension and soldered it back together and all is well. It should hold just fine, and electrical fire would really have sucked.

Reply to
Ianegon007

If the failure is right at the socket what you'll probably find is that the contact in the relay socket is darkened: oxidized. It's the usual failure mode for high current spring contacts. Dunno which comes first, but it is a process where the contact starts heating up, oxidizing, heating more... until the temperature gets high enough to detemper the metal and the tension drops. From there the failure goes fast, generating lots of heat and burning the contacts, often melting the socket. Not normally a fire hazard, though - the heat is too localized.

However, if it is actually at the scabrous splice you've probably fixed it. You'll know for sure within a week or two either way :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again for everybody's help!

Reply to
Ianegon007