mis-fire on multiple cylinders and TCS light

I've got a 99 Honda Odyssey. All of a sudden the engine light came on and the TCS light came on. As well the engine starting running rough. The dealer ran the codes and said that their were mis-fires on cylinder

1, 2, 6, 5. The fuel pressure read ok (36psi). Plus the TCS codes resulted from low voltage according to the tech. According to him low voltage also caused the following codes: engine retard command (PFINH signal failure), throttle position ref voltage failure, gear position signal failure.

The battery test did fail, but it obviously has enough cranking amps to start the car.

This dealer recommended that I replace all of the fuel injectors and then fix the voltage issue later. I don't understand how I could go from no problems to 4 cylinders mis-firing. Any suggestions???

Reply to
Michael

Was that by any chance shortly after filling the tank? It really sounds like bad gas to me. If so, or if you want to try something cheap and easy that might help, add a bottle of gasoline drier (like Dri-Gas) to the tank. A bottle of injector cleaner is a good idea, too; lotsa people favor Techron.

Replacing the injectors is overkill at this stage, but I agree it sounds like the engine is not getting the fuel it wants. If it didn't coincide with filling the tank, replacing the dsitributor cap and rotor with genuine OEM parts makes sense. Do not use aftermarket parts; I learned the hard way even after being warned by more experienced people here.

In left field, again assuming it isn't bad gas, check the engine ground. To get low voltage indications even while the battery can crank the engine is weird.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Somebody pissed in your gasoline. Replace the battery and do the Techron injector cleaner. Dealership has a gleam in their eye.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

To elaborate, the same thing happened when I parked my CR-V over winter. Springtime, first stop sign, exact thing happened as your Odyssey. Stalled and sputtered as WATER was sucked into the injectors. Generated the same codes you got. Sometimes water is trapped in the fuel filter. If your battery is original, it's overdue, and winter is coming. A tank of Gasohol is often as good as Injector cleaner, but you should run injector cleaner through the Odyssey twice a year anyway. Stay away from that dealer.

Cheap insurance.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_