more info 88 accord no reverse or D4

1988 Honda accord, 2.0 with automatic trans Sorry for being extremely vague and confusing Within 50 miles. The car is driven every day. anywhere from 5 to 50 miles a day. It has been doing fine until today. I was driving the car in town to the store when I stopped at a red light. When I took off again and the transmission started shifting I noticed when it shifted into overdrive (4th) it sounded like 2 gears slipping against each other (just like when you put a transmission in park while the car is still rolling). It shifts and pulls just fine in all other forward gears. When I got ready to leave the store the car would not back up. It was like the transmission was not going into reverse. I have checked the fluid, it was only 1/2 quart low. I filled it back up to the full line but this did not help anything. ( it was checked on level ground with the engine off) Thank you for the reply, maybe this will help a little more.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote in news:xbqxj.296$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.lga:

And you're not sorry for suddenly abandoning your previous thread and starting a brand-new one, leaving the old one stranded?

I'm not interested in helping clueless newbies ignorant of Usenet etiquette, sorry.

Reply to your original thread or bye-bye from me.

Reply to
Tegger

I get flamed whenever I take this up, but I don't care.

This arrogance that people in these groups develop where suddenly the form of the question and the "ignorant of usenet etiquette" becomes more important than all else just makes my eyes roll back into my head.

If you are no longer interested in helping "clueless newbies" then pass the torch to someone who is less burned out.

Reply to
E Meyer

Much better, Wayne

The tranny is computer controlled, and various solenoids do the shifting. Auto trannies live or die because of the fluid you put in them. Try wiping the dipstick on a sheet of paper and tell us what color it is. Smell it too. It's probably smelling burnt. If you perform a drain-n-fill on the tranny, make sure to use HONDA Z1, or you'll create other problems. Is your shifter sluggish, or does it 'bind' ever? Have you had any electrical problems lately? Are you in a RUST BELT city?

If it was mine I'd do a drain-n-fill ONCE and see if things get better, but don't rule out the shifter linkage or a stuck solenoid.

You can remove the bottom end of the shifter linkage and see if the cable is smooth or gummed up. Lube with silicone spray or graphite spray. I know your car is older, but look in the Accord and Civic TSB's regarding 'stuck keys / shifter linkage' to see if anything makes sense to you.

My $0.02

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_