Selectiing 2nd gear in an automatic,

OK, if everyone on the planet knows this already, then I admit, I'm an idiot. If not, then I've just discovered something useful.

My 94 850 turbowagon is my first auto trans car since I started driving in 65... One thing that's bugged me about it is the transmission manual selections. D, 3, L. There's no apparent way to select 2nd. For mild downhills, 3rd is OK for controlling speed without riding the brakes, but on steeper hills, it doesn't offer enough engine braking. At speeds above 25MPH, L (1st) is too low.

Last week, I accidentally discovered that if you select L at a higher speed (30-50 MPH), it will select SECOND gear for you and hold it until the speed drops to 25MPH, where it then drops to 1st.

So, if 3rd doesn't do it. just pick L and keep the speed above 25MPH..

Doug Warner

Yes this is normal slushbox behavior, it will never let you overrev the engine, the gear selection represents the top gear it will engage which will leave the engine below the redline.

Reply to
James Sweet

The geartronic models (shiftable automatics) will stay in the gear you select and you can reach the rev limiter, an automatic ignition cut out at redline.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Ahhh, I can tell you drive in Economy, not sport mode.

This is documented in my Owner's Manual. (1998 V70)

"L (Low position) The indicator lamp in the instrument panel (up arrow symbol) and the lamp in the W mode selector light up when this gear is selected. No upshift can occur when L is engaged. Select position L for driving in first and second gears. Use this position to select low gear with no upshift, e.g. when ascending and descending steep grades. The transmission will noticeable shift down from second to first if road speed drops to below 40 km/h (25 mph) when driving in E mode and below

10 km/h (6 mph) in S mode."
Reply to
Mike F

And I think if you use the L position with the winter mode button, can't you force 2nd gear only?

Reply to
Zed's Dead baby

L position in winter mode locks in fist gear. 3 position in winter mode locks in 2nd gear.

Reply to
Mike F

OK, if everyone on the planet knows this already, then I admit, I'm an idiot. If not, then I've just discovered something useful.

My 94 850 turbowagon is my first auto trans car since I started driving in 65... One thing that's bugged me about it is the transmission manual selections. D, 3, L. There's no apparent way to select 2nd. For mild downhills, 3rd is OK for controlling speed without riding the brakes, but on steeper hills, it doesn't offer enough engine braking. At speeds above 25MPH, L (1st) is too low.

Last week, I accidentally discovered that if you select L at a higher speed (30-50 MPH), it will select SECOND gear for you and hold it until the speed drops to 25MPH, where it then drops to 1st.

So, if 3rd doesn't do it. just pick L and keep the speed above 25MPH..

Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Are you sure, 'cos that wouldn't make much sense to me? I thought L on it's own locked in first gear, that's how it seems to behave in mine - unless you're already travelling at speed, then it downshifts when it can.

I would have thought that using L and winter mode would maintain second - the winter mode aspect pushing up the gear selection from first, and L not letting it get above second.

I would have thought that actually locks 3rd, with no lockup?

It's a while since I checked the manual, though, and a good while since I actually played around with the gearbox, so I could well be wrong.

Reply to
Zed's Dead baby

In my S70, L doesn't allow upshifts, either.

Winter mode mean you start from a higher gear.

And the changing of the sport / economy modes, can have a bearing on when L downshifts if you're already driving at speed.

Reply to
Zed's Dead baby

Once again, from my owner's manual:

"W Winter/Wet mode Enhanced Vehicle Traction This mode may be selected for starting/moving off on slippery roads.

- In position D*, the gearbox starts in 3rd gear and changes up to 4th gear.

- In position 3*, 2nd gear is locked and there is no change up to 3rd gear.

- In position L, 1st gear is locked.

  • These positions always offer the kick-down function."
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for clarification - I take it that's an 850 / ?70 series manual?

Also, does using winter mode have any effect in L? Would it change up without winter mode - because mine doesn't seem to.

Reply to
Zed's Dead baby

Reply to
Mick Ruthven

I tried it this evening in S mode, shifting into Low at 30 mph (went into

2nd gear) then decelerating. At 25 mph it went into 1st gear.
Reply to
Mick Ruthven

I seem to remember that in Winter Mode it would stay in 2nd longer before it would shift down into 1st when the shifter was in L.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

The manual is the one from my 98 V70. I guess the only difference in position "L" between the 3 modes is the speed that the transmission shifts into 1st gear. In any mode it won't shift out. I've verified the downshift speeds in "S" and "E", but don't know what will happen in "W".

Reply to
Mike F