My speedometer troubles

Well... My 96 Accord has the dreaded speedometer problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sits at 30 km/h. If I bang on the dash and flick the trip odometer button a couple times it starts working again. I took the cluster out of the car, and checked the circuit boards for cold solder joints. Re-soldered a few... The speedometer movement itself is a smooth as glass. I could gently blow on the needle and it would travel very well.. Anyway, I put the damn thing back together, and it is still doing the same thing. I didn't actually take the speedometer itself apart as I am sure it is a sensitive device.... At first I thought it was my signal generator at the transaxle, but the bang/flick thing rules that out. It has something to do with the cluster itself.. (I think)

Does anyone out there in Honda land know how to fix this? I REALLY don't want to spend 350.00 on a new cluster with a car that has around 275000km on it.

I have read that this is a known problem, but I can't seem to find any solution other than replacing the whole cluster. I like to fix before I replace. (Because I am poor...)

Thanks, BD

Reply to
boondocks

on