New 2008 Civic MPG

Virtually everyone needs AC. It's required to keep the windows free of moisture during wet weather, even if that weather isn't hot.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I've had several cars without AC, and the defroster blowing has usually been good enough. I haven't lived in extremely humid areas, so that might make a difference...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Show me one that is cleaner.

Reply to
Justbob30

Actually, I called it smart way plus, The Honda Civic is actually smart way elite & the only 48 state car in this class, the Prius (like many others) is simply a smart way car with a rating of 8 vs the Hondas rating of 9.

I could only go back to the 2000 Civic HX but its rating was 8 (same as Prius) so there you go.

Reply to
Justbob30

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by a "smartway plus car". Oh, I see--the EPA has this rating they call "Smartway".

Well, according to the EPA and its Green Vehicle Guide, both the Civic Hybrid and the Prius are rated Smartway Elite--but dig down and you'll see that the Prius is a tad cleaner and uses less fuel. It's also larger and has more luggage space.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Back in 1969, I was doing documentary film work in Micronesia and we rented a small Honda for about six weeks when in Koror, (Palau). It had no brakes but other than that, it ran flawlessly. Had a motorcycle air cooled engine, (two cylinder).

I knew then that American automakers were going to have a challenged future...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Sorry, YOU may not need a/c, I do......I have 4 months of summer in the 80's & 90's, 8 months of winter, spring & fall but I refuse to drive a uncomfortable car, I use my a/c even when it is cold, it keeps ALL the windows clear. But I guess since it is the day for generalizations I can say, not everyone needs a heater, after all, it is only below 10 here a couple months out of the year.

Reply to
Justbob30

In 8 states, there are a lot more states where the Prius is not as clean with its 8 rating.

Reply to
Justbob30

My Wife has a 2008 Civic LX 1.8 with ~15,000 miles. Her commute is 35 miles in the country with few stoplights and an average 50 mph speed. She is a very conservative driver. She claims to be doing better than 33 mpg on her commute over the last 5000 miles. She is a Ph.D. engineer and has good credibility with data. My 2003 Civic Si 2.0 160 hp consistently gets 24 mpg around town driven hard. I enjoy driving them both.

Reply to
Enrico Fermi

"Enrico Fermi" wrote

This surprises me in a bad way. I had a '97 Civic EX (manual) and got 32 in town, regularly. The commute over the 10 mile stretch has a fair amount of smooth 40 mph stretches through about 15 stoplights. The 10 mile return commute is much more stop and go. Still, I got 32. On the highway at 65 -75 I'd get about 38. If your wife's Civic is only getting 32 under the described conditions, Civics' mileage appears to really have fallen off over the last 10 years.

Reply to
Howard Lester

There was no way to avoid it. The civic now is a much larger and heavier car than 10 years ago. My Si is over 3200 Pounds. I average about 26 MPG in mixed driving, and about 32 straight highway. I don't drive conservatively most of the time. The EX and lower should do a bit better than that, with the smaller engines, but it still isn't near as good as the older, smaller civics...

Reply to
Joe

i drove to los angeles from sfo and back this weekend - 400 miles each way. 40.3mpg trip average. 89 civic, 2,187lbs hatchback automatic.

that was sticking to the speed limit - if i go faster, it drops, but that's not bad for a 19 year old clunker.

Reply to
jim beam

Not bad at all. The old ones did a great job with fuel economy. It's a tough call. Americans seem to want bigger cars, and they absolutely expect the added safety equipment (6 airbags, crumple zones, etc), but now with the higher fuel prices we are seeing a heavy trend towards smaller cars. There have to be tradeoffs. It's just a matter of how much people are willing to give up to save some money at the pump...

Reply to
Joe

modern engines are much more efficient than the 20+ year old ones - much more sophisticated control and better design. those engines in lightweight bodies with skinnier tires that old honda wishbone suspension could utilize more effectively, and you have the potential for great fuel economy. i've been considering an engine transplant accordingly, but transplanting the accompanying electronics is decidedly non-trivial.

Reply to
jim beam

The sales brochure I just picked up at the dealer says the Si coupe curb weight is 2886 pounds. Granted that is about 500 more than my GS-R, but not quite 3200. Is yours a sedan?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Working from memory and the registration sticker. Haven't checked it recently, and my memory is not reliable enough for me to argue it with you. Next time I go out I'll have to look again.

Of course, NY doesn't weigh them, so it could *still* be wrong... ;-)

Reply to
Joe

Elmo/Larry in AZ - You guys should get your facts straight about the smart -

Elmo - the smart has an automated manual transmission - so while you are technically correct in that they don't offer an 'automatic' transmission, the automated manual has an automatic shift mode.

Larry in AZ - the DO offer A/C, optional in the 'Pure' and standard in the 'Passion'.

See -

I do agree with the general sentiment regarding the smart, however. It really needs a little more power to make sense - that may even help the mileage a tad by making the engine work less hard. It also really needs some storage space. But I have seen a few driving around, and I smile every time I see one. ;-)

Dan D '07 Ody EX (23 mpg highway, loaded, at 75 mph) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58