New Honda owner

================= I test drove a Honda CRV 7-14-07 and it had that feature. Bill

Reply to
Fathergoose

Right. Sure. Let's try to stick to the facts, shall we? In the last few messages here, you've called me an "asshole", a "douche", and now a condescending nickname. What have I said to you, other than pointing out that your answer was wrong...?

It's quite clear who the "winner" is. Thanks for playing. Buh-bye.

Reply to
Dan C

When i was working Tech Support, the group leader suggested the first question I asked was, "Is it plugged in?". I said, "C'mon!" She said, you'd be surprised.

Imagine my surprise when the first call I got where the unit was completely inoperable. No lights, no little start-up dance when the button was pushed, etc. My gut reaction was, "Did you check the fuse", but I gave it a millisecond and said, "Is the unit plugged it?"

"Uh...thanks for your time! "

Reply to
Hachiroku

On a recent Mythbusters episode, the crew thoroughly tested several myths about submerged cars, windows, etc. Among other things they found was that a power window unit continued to work for 45 minutes after the door was submerged. That surprised me. One other interesting thing they found was that those emergency hammer gadgets you sometimes see advertised on cable that are supposed to break windows actually work exactly as advertised. The hammer head is a sharpened cone. Even under water, bashing the side window with one of the things caused the window to disintegrate into little cubes of glass.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Those devices have actually been a normal tool for at least as long as I have been working - back in the '70s when I had to do simple metalwork an automatic center punch

was indispensible. I don't have one any more, though - I don't like metalwork! As long as the battery isn't damaged the power windows (and locks, if the controller hasn't wigged out) should continue to work for some time when submerged. Even ocean water isn't a great conductor compared to the admittance of a window motor.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

ACAR wrote in news:1184429175.989260.149360 @g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Ah yes, I read somewhere about that problem with the VW Tuareg (which is identical to the Cayanne). Apparently, if your battery runs down, there is no way to open the doors from the outside. You cannot pop the hood to charge the battery either. You have to tow the car to the dealer to get the doors unlocked.

In some BMWs, you cannot open the doors from the inside if they had been locked with the remote. It is a feature to make it harder to steal, but a real problem if you accidentally lock a child in a hot car.

Honda is not quite there yet. The Fit Sport, for example, has only one keyhole (on the driver's door). If that lock jams and the remote fails, you're out of luck.

Reply to
Ed

Seems like a good idea to me, it was in the news some weeks back that a lady and her kids drowned in their mini van after it rolled into a pond. Is it true that the tip of a spark plug (electrode broken off I reckon) will do the same thing? I've got enough old plugs, maybe I'll tie one to a piece of wood?

Reply to
MAT

Probably but the hammer gadget is cheap, widely available, and also has a blade for cutting a stuck seat belt (in an emergency), so why not just get one of them.

Ace Hardware has 'em.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Agreed! I got some nifty ones awhile back from

that also have an LED flashlight built in.

Reply to
Seth

Yes I wouldn't like that. My wife's 2001 Chrysler Sebring has auto locking doors to prevent outside access, but one can always open the doors from the inside, except the rear doors it the child proof setting is activated. My mid 90s Chrysler has auto locking, but it needs to be activated by the dealer. I hadn't been in favor of the feature until a few years ago when car jacking started becoming a problem.

Reply to
who