New Tire Recommendations for a 2005 Honda CR-V SE

Hello there!

My name is Scott, and I am currently in the market for a new set of tires for my 2005 Honda CR-V SE. I would like to know if the members of this newsgroup have any particular experience(s) or specific recommendations for tire replacements to consider and/or avoid.

The original tires equiping my CR-V are BFGoodrich Traction T/A Spec's in the size 215/65R16 98T M+S.

Now, I'm a semi-aggressive driver, so I'd like to have very durable tires that also transmit very low road noise and afford great comfort and responsiveness on some of the worst - albeit paved - roads in the country. Let's face it, it Pothole Hell here!

More importantly, though, I require tires that will offer superior traction on wet, snowy and icy roadways. I live in suburban Buffalo, New York, so we have inclement (read: crappy!) weather for the greater part of the year. I'm sure that you've all heard of our Winter weather reputation, which is both well-earned and infamous, but not too bad at all once you're used to it!

These will be the first set of Truck/SUV tires I've ever bought, so I want to get the best that I can. I liked the Dunlaps and Goodyears I've had on four previous automobiles, but absolutely hated the Firestones on my previous Honda Civic HX. They slipped even on bone-dry pavement!

If it matters at all, I intend to mount the new tires on the factory wheels as opposed to getting new, aftermarket wheels too.

So, whatever input that you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated! There are so many brands and series available, so it would be quite helpful to narrow those down to a more manageable level.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and consideration! I will be looking forward to reading your comments on this forum.

--Scott W.

Reply to
Scott

Go here:

and check out the CR-V forums. Lots of discussions there about tires...

Reply to
M.M.

and we see the author is "Scott "

'nuff said.

Reply to
jim beam

In BUF, he'll be better off with a set of winter tires on steelies and a set of all-weather tires on the factory alloys for rest of year.

Go to a 225/60-16 size for the "aggressive" driving aspect, year-round and winter.

Reply to
News

Go minus one for winter and plus one for summer, ie: a 205/65/16 for winters and the 225/60s for the summer. A wider tire in the winter is counterproductive.

Never had an winter issue with our 2005 CR-V SE with 225s...

Reply to
News

Hey, thankfully anonymous "jim beam," with the Holier-Than-Thou (and equally anonymous) "@privacy.net" e-mail account, thank you ever so much for your invaluable contribution to this forum!

What exactly is your major malfunction, little man?! Let me guess, your mommy doesn't love you ... step-daddy molested you and now won't let you out of your basement bedroom ... you have a microscopic penis .. or are you just another ignorant asshole who feels compelled to denegrate others when you otherwise have absolutely nothing constructive and intelligent to say? I'm going to go with "all of the above" and probably a whole lot more! You really should seek some therapy to help confront and resolve your myriad issues of personal inadequacy.

Anyway, thanks again for your input, "beanie boy," and enjoy yourself at the next "Star Trek" convention when it comes to town ... and don't forget to bring along your pointy Vulcan ear tips!

Live Long And Prosper ... 'nuff said.

--Scott

~~~~~~~~Worthless Resp and we see the author is "Scott "

'nuff said. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ El Fin

Reply to
Scott

You probably won't, but given the option for dedicated winters, narrower is usually better. Have a look at this:

WRC winter stage tires are typically 145/80 R16 (!) Wide profiles tend to float on top of the snow rather than bite into it.

Understood. Of course, I don't rally much...

Most winter tires spend most of their time in motion on cold, clear roads or packed snow, where the larger contact patch is useful.

Reply to
News

Au contraire - a smaller contact patch with the same weight on it has a higher per sq in pressure on it, ergo it bites into the snow pack much, much better than a wider tire. Voice of experience from 37 winters in Alaska....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Good for you.

Reply to
News

Well then why not use slicks?

No sipes. Need max sipes.

Reply to
News

Nokian WR is the best passenger tire for all around general use in all seasons.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I assume that was not a serious question? If it was, then I refer you to the post regarding sipes and get some basic background info on tires in general....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

;0)

I though not but after several years dealing with people buying tires, batteries, etc., I am amazed at the lack of knowledge possessed by many drivers (I use that term very loosely)...Furthermore, it is not just the distaff population either...So one can never be certain without asking....However, in this group, the uninitiate show up quickly and I didn't place you in that category...Good'un on you. DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

There are drivers and then there are people that hold on to the steering wheel and think that they are drivers.

Reply to
Brian Smith

There are drivers and there are passengers who sit behind the wheel.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I worked for a few months after high school selling VWs in the early 90s. The majority of the dealership staff, sales *and* service, knew next to nothing about cars. The assistant manager of service told a customer, who was buying new tires, that the "/65" after the tread width was the sidewall height in mm...