O2 sensor connector .....how does it come apart?

I have an 88 crx dx 1.5L TBI. I bought a generic o2 sensor to replace one that has been in there for a long time and might be tired. Honda recommends replacing the o2 sensor at 24 thousand mile intervals. I don't like the crimp splice that comes with the new sensor though.....want to remove the old sensor with its connector and make a good soldered splice and heat shrink it for protection.

Problem is I can't seem to be able to separate the connector. It looks like a plastic tab that is threaded through a plastic bail. My intuition is to depress the tab and pull apart. This doesn't work though...I don't have enough strength in my fingers. Furthemore, I don't want to break the damn thing. I though of going to my local U-pull-it and doing some destructive testing of a similar connector but maybe the good mechanics here could save me a trip.

Please, could anyone describe how the O2 sensor connector fits together?

Thanks in advance, Yours sincerely, Tich.

Reply to
tich