One year free gas with purchase of an Accord in Canada

Honda dealers are offering one year of free gas (with conditions) with the purchase of an Accord in Canada until early May.

I'm in the market for an Accord, so that sounds interesting, but what I'm wondering is, with deals like this, do the dealers usually reduce the discount they would otherwise be allowing during price negotiation? If so, this is not really such a good deal, and I think I would rather wait a couple months to make the purchase...

I could ask the dealer about that, but it will not be easy to find out.

Your views?

Reply to
Grommet

Grommet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Assuming 12,000 miles per year driving, at 30mpg and $3 per gallon, the dealer is basically giving a price break of $1,200.

Whether you actually see this price break depends on whether or not they get it back from you in "extra fees", options, finance charges, all the usual places they hide additional costs to you.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Since that inevitably ends up in the price of the car one way or another, you will pay auto sales tax for the extra $1200 on top of the taxes built into the gasoline, plus interest on it over the life of the car loan. Not a good deal any way you slice it.

You'd be better off negotiating without the gasoline gimmick.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
slider

"slider" wrote in news:Pd49e.42531$jR3.27800@edtnps84:

I measured that $3 in US gallons and in Canadian dollars.

If your $4.30 is Imperial gallons, that translates to $3.58 for a US gallon.

I paid 81¢ Cdn per liter yesterday, which is $3.07 Cdn for a US gallon (about $2.56US).

I'm in Ontario. The price has been fluctuating between 79¢ and 83¢ over the last week or so.

Reply to
TeGGer®

In Winnipeg its $0.889 per litre right now.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Reply to
disallow

Halifax,Nova Scotia...94.9

Reply to
slider

Victoria BC - $1.02

--=20

Cheers!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Here in Nova Scotia, the price just dropped to 94.9¢ a litre the day before yesterday.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Victoria BC - $1.02

For regular?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Yes - dropped to l.01 today

Reply to
Jan

We thought we had it bad at 99.9¢ a couple of weeks ago.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

"Brian Smith" wrote in news:1lr9e.43532$jR3.13994@edtnps84:

Filled up today at 85.7¢.

You guys really have to have a word with with your tax people...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Jan wrote in news:MPG.1cd08ff6e60339d59896f2@shawnews:

Don't you guys have California-style "boutique" gas, with MTBE and other crap?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Oh we have words with them, every time we look at the price we're paying {;^)

Realistically, we don't have the population/tax base that you do in Ontario, and you know how much the thieves (err, politicians) love to line their pockets.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

I just bought an 05 EX-V6 sedan while this free gas promotion was on. I elected to take the equivalent discount off the price of the car because you also save on the GST + PST. I actually negotiated a bigger discount than the $1200 value of gas.

Reply to
hippo

Excellent -- care to give us an idea of how much bigger?

Did you pay that "administrative fee"?

G.

Reply to
Grommet

The list price of an 05 Accord EX-V6 sedan including all fees is $34800 (plus PST+GST). If you took the gas value discount it would be $33600. I paid $32000 (plus PST+GST), no additional fees.

Reply to
hippo