Opinions and/or experience with Autozone Airtex fuel pump for '89 Toyota?

Have an '89 Cressida with 160K plus miles on it, running the factory fuel pump. No issues currently but looking to take a long road trip and seems like a good idea to do some pre-emptive wrench turning.

Autozone had two, an "Asian Manf'd" for like $160 something, and an Airtex for $130 something, Also getting the tank gasket and the pickup filter.

My brother who does car stuff adamantly insists that anything from Autozone is garbage - period, that I need to go with either Toyota parts or what he called "A line" parts from someone *other* than the well known places like Autozone, Advance/Discount auto parts, Bumper To Bumper. The problem with anything from Toyota obviously is the cost. I've never priced a valve stem cap there but I feel reasonably certain it wouldn't be under $20. Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration.

What say you? You think I'd be asking for trouble installing the Airtex unit? Any other brands you recommend?

Does the term A-line mean anything to you?

Thanks

Reply to
muzician21

You should just get a generic electric fuel pump - they're a lot cheaper.

"A-line" is a term for a style of a cut of a woman's skirt. How I can know this and still be a heterosexual is beyond me. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Very limited experience, but...

The original clutch master cylinder on my '88 Toyota pickup lasted 15 years of total neglect. The cheap replacement I got at a NAPA store lasted 3 days. An expensive replacement I got from Toyota is still going strong.

Guess: manufacturers of high-quality replacement parts that probably cost close to, and possibly more than, Toyota parts, and may give as good or nearly as good, or maybe even better performance than Toyota parts.

Reply to
croy

There is a possibility that you may encounter something from Autozone that is not garbage, but the chances are not good. So the question becomes, how much of a gamble are you willing to take?

If changing out the fuel pump is a half-hour job under the hood, I would be willing to take more of a chance on a cheap part than I would if it was a matter of dropping the tank.

Yes, go to whatever jobber your brother is using. Get something decent.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

muzician21 wrote in news:403baeb4-1f86-4804-9e74- snipped-for-privacy@35g2000prt.googlegroups.com:

WHY? Why on earth would you mess with something that's working perfectly- well on the daffy hypothesis that on THIS particular trip (and not on all the other trips the car's been on in 21-years) the fuel pump will conk out?

LEAVE THE OEM PUMP ALONE. By your own admission, it's working fine.

That pump cost $300 when new, and there's a reason why.

Ah, yes. "Asian Manf'd". ChiCom junk, you mean. The very thing to inspire confidence while in the middle of Death Valley with buzzards overhead. Well,you go right ahead and replace your top-quality OEM Toyota pump (that's working perfectly) with some unknown-quality Chinese knockoff. I'll send flowers when the buzzards eat your striated musculature.

In this case, the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," definitely applies. There are other things you can do to make sure your ride keeps you away from the buzzards, but replacing the fuel pump isn't one of them.

Reply to
Tegger

Here's a link to RockAuto. They have a Nippon-Denso fuel pump for 90-ish dollars.

Jeff Strickland

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:ie6f0b$34n$1 @panix2.panix.com:

If this fellow wants to perform the utterly useless task of replacing a perfectly-good OEM Toyota fuel pump with unknown Chinese junk, he would be best advised to take the old pump with him, plus appropriate tools, so that he may put the old pump back when the cheapo replacement fails on him during his "long road trip".

Reply to
Tegger

If it's not broken don't fix it.

No issues with your motor either but I don't see you putting a new one of those in either. :)

Just do your basic tuneup & filter change, brake check etc and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Btw, Airtex is a good aftermarket brand.

I too won't purchase parts from Advance or Autozone unless I'm broken down and they are the only thing open.

I'm also leery of brand name products from these places too.. They should be the same parts as real auto parts stores, but I still don't trust them for some reason.. I'd rather buy the same product from Fisher, NAPA, or a mom & pop store.

Reply to
m6onz5a

WHY? If the pump tests OK, then leave it alone. Easy enough to test it using an amp meter and a flow meter. If it is putting out the proper flow at the proper pressure and drawing withing the proper range then it's fine.

Both made in China. Both JUNK.

Yep. Most parts places carry different levels of parts. From cheap junk up through high quality parts.

The A- Line are the ones that are factory or OEM manufacturers parts. Yes they will cost more. That is because they are made to a better level, tested and actually LAST.

Reply to
Steve W.

This is a good point. My suggestion is that he buy a cheap pump and stashes it under his seat because it will probably make him feel better. My guess is that the pump is like most other pumps except a little more heavy-duty. OTOH, I haven't checked one out.

Reply to
dsi1

Why shouldn't he also staff spark plugs, wires, brakes, distributor, alternator, belts and hoses, and a water pump, just in case? A better idea is to realize that there are neat places where you can buy parts in a pinch, called parts stores and dealers.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

dsi1 wrote in news:4d06d715$0$16672$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

Great idea! That way he'd be able to return it when he gets back, minus the restocking fee, of course.

Reply to
Tegger

Since you are a doctor, I am a little surprised that you believe that people act in a rational, logical, practical way. You've got a lot to learn about peoples doc. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Forget about the restocking fees and instead just use them as stocking stuffers. I don't know any kid that wouldn't want a fuel pump this holiday season - even if it ain't OEM. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Trust me, when you drive a 2002, you keep all those things in the trunk. I keep a spare alternator too and plenty of hose clamps. Also a gently used cap and rotor.... because parts stores just laugh at you...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I know that people don't act in a rational way. Too bad you missed the sarcasm.

jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

dsi1 wrote in news:4d06dcee$0$9830$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

But what if he licks it and gets poisoned? The ChiComs aren't noted for caring much about materials and their compatibility with the human body.

Reply to
Tegger

I didn't miss the sarcasm - but you sure did. That is, unless you're being sarcastic now in which case, that would be just plain ironic! :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I like the word "ChiComs." You're probably right about this. I just bought some kitchen cabinets that while beautiful and well made, were made by some commies in China. Probably commie prisoners charged with the most heinous of crimes. When the gal at Home Depot found out about this she said that those cabinets emitted poisonous gasses. I installed them anyway. Good thing I don't live there. Currently it's just my kids. I figure that if I wait a few years before moving back in, all the bad stuff will have outgassed. Wheew... that was a close call!

Reply to
dsi1

Not everything is. They have a few decent parts here and there. But it's usually things like name brand bearings, filters, etc. But in general, yes, junk.

Most autoparts store stuff these days is garabage and autozone is the bottom of the barrel generally speaking. Even Napa isn't what it used to be but better than autozone. Rockauto often has OEM parts or the higher end name brand stuff available.

I recommend keeping your stock original fuel pump in place. Is it just pull out the back seat, open the access port and remove the pump? If it doesn't require dropping the tank and is an easy swap like that another OEM pump from a junkyard kept in the trunk should provide all the security you need. Test it first of course.

He's probably just refering to the higher end name brand parts.

Reply to
Brent