Parking Brake Adjustment

When putting on the parking (emergency) brake how many clicks constitutes a properly adjusted brake? My dealer indicates I'm OK with 11---I think that it's too much. Comments appreciated. MLD

Reply to
MLD

A long-time issue of mine, too.

Maybe it's just as well, about twice per car, I'll try to drive off with the brake on. Newer Accords beep at you when you do that!

But a tighter brake would keep the car in place wouldn't it?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Adjust your back brakes. You are taking up the slack with the emergency brake handle travel. Your brake pedal will feel better after the adjustment too. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

constitutes a

This is after the brakes has been replaced-- MLD

Reply to
MLD

"MLD" wrote in news:vI4Yh.13553$bZ2.5677@trndny01:

What kind of car is this?

I assume a Honda, but what model and year?

Reply to
Tegger

Forgot to mention---2000 Accord V6 MLD

Reply to
MLD

While this advice is sound and good for a vehicle with drum brakes in the rear, it doesn't help people with disc brakes at all four corners of their vehicle. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

--------------------------------------

Exploded view diagrams are at

You can likely notch it up yourself, and I'd go for about 6 clicks. I like the handle to come up a bit. Have you tried yanking the brake lever up and down (sharply) while backing up repeatedly? It will sometimes help if the auto-adjusters aren't working smoothly.

Reply to
motsco_

"MLD" wrote in news:dV8Yh.8288$Rd.1754@trndny08:

Usually it's six to ten clicks to set the parking brake.

Do you have drums or discs on the rear?

If the shoes/calipers are properly adjusted, then you need to take up the slack on the cable. do NOT adjust the cable until you are 100% certain the brake portion is properly set up!

Reply to
Tegger

official adjustment for a civic, assuming all the mechanicals are ok, is raise the handle to the first click, then adjust the cable so the brakes /just/ start to drag. from then on, the brake should be full on in the next 6 to 9 clicks. accord is likely the same or similar.

Reply to
jim beam