Prelude 4WS problem

The 4WS light on my 1992 Prelude doesn't always go out on starting up hot. I've seen a few comments on this matter on earlier posts but there didn't seem to be a specific answer.

Starting cold the light always goes out, but if I restart the car hot, or if the car has been parked in the sun, it often doesn't go out. The main solution I saw mentioned was poor earthing/grounding, so I'll have a look at that, but any other comments gratefully received.

The car appears to drive OK with the 4WS not working, just less manouverable. Is it doing any damage?

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
barryh46au

Find 2-pin service connector behind centre console, by gas pedal, blue wires. Jumper the two terminals, get flash codes from 4WS light. Report back.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Barry

I have the same problem. (92' prelude 2.3L manual)

To turn on the 4WS (when the light is on) try this (when you have a manual gearbox):

While driving at low speed, in 2nd or 3rd gear, turn of the ignition, turn it on again. (you don't have to start because the car starts it self). Now the 4WS light is off, and the 4WS is working fine.

Please let me know if it works with your prelude.

Ewald

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Ewald

OK - I've just tried this and it worked! I depressed the clutch, turned off the ignition, turned it back on and released the clutch. The car lurched a bit but restarted ok and the light went out. I didn't want to turn it off and on in gear, in case there was a build up of fuel vapour in the exhaust, leading to a bit of a bang! Or would the fuel injection not allow fuel into the cylinders with the ignition off? I'd still like to find out what is causing it in the first place. I can't find the service connector referred to - I have a right-hand drive car (we drive on the left here in Oz) so is it on the left hand side, and do I have to remove the dashboard to get at it? Thanks

Barry

Reply to
barryh46au

Fuel injectors are normally closed. Can't help with the right hand drive model.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I've tried Ewald's suggestion and it works - I wonder why??

I simply turn the ignition off and immediately on again while cruising steadily. The car doesn't miss a beat and the light goes off in a few seconds.

I'd love to know (a) why the light doesn't go off in the first place (if engine is hot when restarting) and (b) why the above procedure works.

I'll try to find the connector and see what message I get.

Barry

Reply to
barryh46au

OK I've found the connector, shorted it and turned on the ignition (without starting the engine). I get seven slow flashes of the 4WS light, a pause, then seven slow and one quick, then seven slow, seven slow one quick, etc. If this is code

70 and 71 it is of no relevance to why my 4WS light does not always go out when I start the car hot.

As I said before, Ewald's suggestion of turning the ignition off and on while driving gets rid of the light, but does not explain what's happening. And I do not drive the car hard with three passengers on board (have you ever tried to get three passengers in a Prelude!!!!!!!!!)

Maybe I need to wait until the next time the light stays on, stop the car, turn off, short the connector and see if I get a different message.

Barry

Reply to
barryh46au

I would try that. I would also check any under body connectors for corrosion, looseness, etc. Also check any connectors and grounds associated with the control unit.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Or maybe there are some worn out rear suspension components that are making the unit think you are drive aggressively with passengers?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks. I'll report back when I have some results! Barry

Reply to
barryh46au