Sienna vs Odyssey

Hi,

I'm shopping for a minivan and the choices came down to Toyota Sienna vs Honda Odyssey. I'm wondering what are the group's impression of Sienna. I did a test drive on both and I like both of them with slight advantage given to Odyssey due to more confident handling and ease of driving. I looked in Sunday editions of the local papers then and noticed that there were some special deals, rebates and pricing from Toyota dealers including some very attractive deals on Sienna, but none at all from Honda. As much as I liked Odyssey, I don't want to play the tag price. I'm wondering what is the best Sienna model to go for? Should I opt for 4w drive and more upscale module or more basic one? - With Sienna price jumps quite a bit when optional features are added.

Please share your opinions and driving impressions of Sienna.

Thanks, IP.

Reply to
I.Pavlov

You really can't go wrong with either one. They are easily the two best minivans out there today, and not just because of reliability. Although a handful of earlier Odysseys had tranny issues, Honda seems to have fixed that for the current version. I wouldn't bother with 4WD or AWD, whichever they have. If you do enough winter driving, just get winter tires.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Honda makes a fine minivan. I know several people that paid the sticker price and are perfectly happy with their cars.

We like our '01 Sienna and everybody I know who has a Sienna is also happy with it.

You pays your money and takes your chances. Why don't you drive both and see if you actually like one over the other?

As for AWD - what problem will this solve for you that will offset the reduced fuel economy? If it's winter traction you're interested in, traction control and snows might be a better solution. Snow tires will help your braking in slippery conditions, a thing that AWD will not do.

None of my cars have AWD. I live where snow and slippery conditions are a normal part of life and I haven't missed getting to anything important.

Reply to
dh

If I were you I'd buy the vehicle you like the best even though it may be a bit more expensive. I don't think we're talking thousands of dollars difference here so a few bucks one way or another shouldn't deter you from buying the one you like. Go for it.

I have a 04 Sienna and like it very much, goes like a bat out a hell and gives a good ride. I looked at the Honda also and I could have bought one for less than the Sienna, but I liked the Sienna better so there you go, my advice.

Reply to
Dbu''

"I.Pavlov" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

We test drove both and they were VEEEERY similar in price, options and driveability. The decision maker for my wife was the difficulty she had in getting the steering wheel in a comfortable position in the Odyssey. She had no such problems in the Sienna. Also we both found the visibility in the Odyssey to be not as good as the Sienna.

In the end we put together deals with the Honda dealer and the Toyota dealer and the Toyota dealer beat the Honda dealer by a couple $k.

Also the Toyota dealer was straight with us nearly the whole time while the Honda dealer seemed to be saying anything he could to get the sale. One minute he was saying "there's a waiting list for these vans", next minute it was "I can get you any color you want, any package you want and get it here tomorrow." This isn't a necessarily a knock against the Odyssey but it did affect our decision, if only slightly.

Reply to
Tony Rice

We bought a Sienna in 1999. We also looked at the Odyssey. The arrogance of the Honda dealer turned us off.

Reply to
ma_twain

I have an '02 Sienna XLE. Smaller than the newer Siennas. Drives nice, some problems, BUT, all the dealers service departments in our area are rip-off artists, IMHO. Brake rotors warped at 30K, should have been under warranty, dealer overcharged me for "brake job" (new pads) and I effectively paid for the rotors. Toyota USA would not help me get a refund. Another dealer tried to get me to pay for a new exhaust manifold ($500) when the O2 sensor failed because it was "siezed". I stopped the work and had a gas station mechanic replace the sensor. Highest mpg only 25 highway, 19 city. Not happy with that. Next vehicle will be same as better half drives; '05 Chevy crew cab short bed with cap. 5.3 L V8 gets 22 mpg highway 18 city. Not bad for a TRUCK. Rides just as nice, room enough for six, can haul a lot more than the minivan. Repairs much less expensive.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

Brakes are not covered under warrantee and almost all premature break jobs are due to the driver. My wife is very easy on cars and brakes. Didn't have to replace our 2000 Sienna brakes until

70K and was a quite reasonable $90. Don't know about price of repairs because we haven't had any in six years and 80K+ miles .

Another dealer tried to get me to pay for a new exhaust

That's pretty good for a vehicle of that size that can haul 7 people and their luggage. Did you not check the sticker for the EPA gas mileage estimate.

Next

You're full of crap. Maybe under the best of circumstances you might get close to that, but on average it will be closer to 15 in the city and 18 on the freeway, if you drive it easy. To say the a Chevy pickup rides as nice a Sienna is also pretty absurd. I've driven the Chevy, nice truck, but it still rides like a truck.

Reply to
ToMh

Howdy,

I have an '04 Sienna, and I know I checked the EPA sticker. It said 24 highway, and I have never gotten over 17. I drive with a very light foot, BTW.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

snip

It's a wonder he still has a job there.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I get 28 on trips and 19 highway. If you look to the bottom of the sticker you'll see a range of milage. Your milage may vary.

Reply to
Dbu''

Keep in mind that the Sienna AWD has no spare tire, and is equipped with so-called run flat tires. These tires have very stiff sidewalls and give a harsh ride. Get the FWD and traction + stability control. I am quite happy with my 2004 Sienna. If the vehicles seem more or less equal, than go to the better dealer in terms of honesty and helpfulness.

Morton

Reply to
Morton Linder

Toyota now offers a kit for mounting a spare tire in AWD Siennas (the tradeoff being reduced cargo space).

Reply to
Ray O

Howdy,

Do you know if the kit mounts a full-size spare? I ask because since I bought my '04 they have had available a kit to mount a donut version.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

I don't know, but I think "Lena" is just trolling. She complains about the mileage in her Sienna, but has no problem with mileage of this Chevy truck which actually has worse mileage. Moreover, I think she'd be lucky to get lower repair costs on a Chevy truck than on a Sienna, considering that GM trucks are crap these days.

She reminds me of that guy "Art" who complains about petty issues in his Avalon, but shrugs off a mechanical failure in his Crapsler as nothing.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

According to the FAQ section on Toyota's web site, the spare mounting kit is for a temporary (read donut) spare and you lose the ability to fold down one of the rear seats.

Reply to
Ray O

Did you drive a Chevy truck lately? Like an 05? because they ride as good as my 05 Sienna..

and a friend who has a new one is getting over 20 MPG on the highway - with a v-8...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have an AWD 05 Sienna that gets no more than 16 MPG on average...

and today's GM trucks are not crap... they may not be as reliable as a Toyota, but the variance in reliability is small... I think the Sienna's v-6 is underpowered for the heavy van, and as a matter of fact a v-8 may be a better choice for it... a kind of a v-8 that turns off 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Hi again,

Thanks for the info (though I hoped to hear something else...)

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

You're welcome!