Radiator Fan

Any tips on replacing the radiator fan on a '96 Accord. How do you get to the bottom bolts in the shroud. Also do you have to remove the top radiator hose to get the shroud out.

Reply to
FRAK

"FRAK" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Remove the two hold-downs at the top. The rad will lift out with the fan attached.

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
FRAK

have you unplugged the electrics as well?

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
FRANK

  1. please don't top post - it makes threads impossible to follow.

  1. there are only 2 bolts - the bottom of the frame sits in two sockets. unless something is bent, and if the electrical sockets are unplugged at the bottom, it'll just lift out.

Reply to
jim beam

If it is an auto tranny the transmission fluid hoses will have to be removed from the bottom. IIRC I used a pencil to plug them.

Try rocking the rad side-to-side while lifting; I'm sure there is nothing actually holding the bottom except stickiness. The proper incantations will come to you ;-) Unless I am confusing it with a different car there are two locating pins on the bottom that point upward, and that's it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"FRAK" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

No.

You do have to disconnect the automatic transmission oil cooler lines as well.

Did you remove the splash shields from underneath to make sure you've got everything disconnected that needs to be?

Reply to
Tegger

not for the fan - that's the rad!

Reply to
jim beam

I'm thinking the radiator had to come out to get the fan out (not much room there) but I could certainly be wrong about that. It's been a year or so and at my age these things tend to run together :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I am only trying to remove the shroud not the entire radiator. From the pictures I have seen for replacement fans it looks like there are

2 bolts in the bottom. I called the dealer and the parts dept says there is one bolt in the bottom. I can't get to the bolts from the top side.
Reply to
dispman2000

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mounet.com:

Then get undeneath and remove the splash shields and see for yourself.

I think the A/C fan has one bolt at the bottom and regular fan has two.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for all the help. I will probably have to get underneath it and try to see how the bolts come out. With back problems this is a task I was trying to avoid. Hoped someone that knew Hondas could point me to a way to do it without getting under the car.

Once again thanks for the help.

Reply to
dispman2000

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mounet.com:

We did: Remove the rad.

Reply to
Tegger

no need to remove rad. - that's a giant pita. having looked at the online diagrams, it appears that the 96 does indeed have a 3rd bolt. this should be possible to reach from above with a 1/4" socket set with

2-3" extension. should be able to feel it if it can't be seen. doesn't anyone around here do car maintenance in the dark?
Reply to
jim beam

Thanks jim. That is the info I was looking for. Just needed to know if there was bolts on the bottom and how many.. I will take a look as soon as I get time.

Reply to
dispman2000

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mounet.com:

You could have looked yourself with a small telescoping mirror. Auto places sell those for ten bucks or so. Everybody should have at least one.

Reply to
Tegger

I have one. I thought about that but just hadn't got around to it. Stethoscope is nice too. Handiest thing I own is a telescopic magnet. It has saved me several times. Seems like every time I drop something it lands in a hard to get place.

Reply to
dispman2000