Radiator Fan Problems 91 Accord LX

The Fan in front of passengers seat is giving issues. It turns on even when the engine is cold on a morning before started. Recently I had changed Thermo switch at the upper hose and temp sensor at the thermostat housing lower hose. No helped at all. Only mystery is when I go for long drives the fan doesn't turn on. But on cold it does. However on turning on the AC swtich both the condesor fan as well as radiator fan come on. What could be the problem. Now a days I keep the battery terminal disconnected -ve to save the battery. Earlier also the fan used to run till it sucked the battery. Could it be a wiring problem. What is the difference between fan timer unit and fan relay.

Reply to
Tirthankar

It should have two relays (one for AC, one for condensor) and they are both the same type of relay. The easy thing to try is to pull both relays out (mark them first, so you know which goes where in case you do find that the condensor relay is bad). Then put the AC relay in the condensor slot and see if it now works correctly. If it does, replace the condensor relay (obviously the other one you pulled out - now you see why you'll want to mark them).

A relay is an electric switch. It activates a contact when current is sensed on its input (coil).

The timer unit takes care of keeping the relay turned on when the car is hot and you turn the car off. It could be that the connection from the sensor to the timer is bad so follow the wire from the sensor back and make sure it makes good contact.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Where do I find the relay. Where it is located.

Reply to
Tirthankar

Usually in the fuse box or a box that opens up like a fuse box.

Reply to
Remco

The following PDF file gives cooling fan electrical etc. component locations; directions on how to test them; and troubleshooting charts, all for your 91 Accord:

A manual for your Accord is accessible via
Based on what you say, and going from memory from past posts here, I would definitely first test the timer unit. They do go bad, causing the fan to go on when it should not.

"Tirthankar" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Just one of several archived threads that discuss problems like yours, on an early 1990s Accord. This one ends with replacement of the timer unit.

(timer+OR+timing)+fan+group%3Arec.autos.makers.honda&rnum=2#2aba930ed52ced1a There's better info on testing the timer unit in the thread above than at the manual page I gave before.

Good prices, pretty fast shipping, for parts like the timer unit:

"Elle" wrote

Reply to
Elle