Re: CivicLX -2003 auto 68K - Sluggish pickup in cold start condition - diagonosis needed

Bottom line here is what I would do:

--Go to Autozone and have them read the engine computer for any stored codes. Report back.

--Change out coolant using a reputable shop. Use Honda OEM coolant only. Make sure the coolant is topped off in the reservoir.

--Change out auto tranny fluid using Honda OEM fluid only.

Then I would be looking at checking the idle RPM, the EACV and the fast idle valve pictured at

More detailed responses to your other queries follow.

wrote

I live in Chicago suburbs. I have a 2003 civic LX auto > with > 68000Miles. During these cold days (20 to 35 F), the car > is sluggish > in pick up when the engine is cold. It is as if I have a > 500 Lb load > on the car. The gears shift at higher rpms, but there are > not issues > with gear shift. > > Once the car is warmed up, the pickup is fine and > acceleration is > normal. > > But I notice the vibration level is little more. Milage > dropped a > little (from 32.5 to 31.5) after the service and I assume > that is due > the the lower temperatures. Now I'm about to fill the tank > again and > I'll probably get ~28mpg. (300miles for 11 gal of regular > BP gas). > > History of the car: > I Bought the car in Aug-08. > The previous user is an ASME certified mechanic > The car has a provision for a hitch to mount (This is to > let you guys > know that the car may be used for towing) > Previous oil is 10W30 Valvoline durablend > Driven about 1000 mi/ month so far > I'm a very smooth driver; no rapid accelerations, no > violent braking; > no racing in the stop lights with other cars. > Always driven by me only. No passengers in the car. > I drive 28 miles per day in mostly city roads; no freeway > drive. > After 66000 Miles, "maintenance required" lamp is on and > is still on. > But the check engine light is off. > > > About 1000 miles ago I changed oil at Walmart ( I supplied > the 5W30 > valvoline durablend oil and they did the change. however I > did not > supply the oil filter with the oil. I assumed that they > replaced the > filter and charged me. I do not have the service receipt > with me now). > However, Honda manual recommends 5W20 oil. ... Do you > suggest oil change again with 5W20?

True regarding what the owner's manual says. My understanding is Honda recommends 5W-20 oil to improve overall fuel mileage for its fleet, and so conform with federal fuel economy requirements. It is still okay to use

5W-30, and in fact Honda is not allowed to void any warranty on the car if a person does use the 30 weight, despite what the owner's manual says. See
But 5W-30 is a heavier viscosity than the 20. For Chicago winters, I would have the 20 weight. On the third hand, could the 30 weight oil be contributing to this sluggishness? A tiny bit not likely to be noticeable around 25 degrees F.

I suspect that the oil filter has not been replaced and

> the oil > bypasses the filter and eating the bearings and cylinders > resulting in > higher blow-by and loss of compression resulting in power > loss. Can > this be true? Is there any indication to the driver that > oil > constantly bypass the filter like check engine lamp?

I do not know how much you work with cars, but the above sounds like overanalysis by a relative layperson. It's a nice layperson's theory but highly unlikely. And no, there is no such indication.

Or is it something to do with the tranny oil (I donno what > oil is in > there!)

Honda automatic trannies circa 2003 are known to have problems unless one uses Honda's OEM tranny fluid. I would change this out, if only for peace of mind on such an expensive part (the tranny).

or the throttle position sensor malfunction or is it the > O2 > sensor? Am I supposed to get a "check engine" if O2 sensor > is faulty?

On a 2003 Civic, yes, you should get a CEL if the O2 sensor is faulty. But unless this car has been abused, I do not expect its O2 sensor to fail at only 68k miles.

Furthermore, the engine control computer ignores signals from the O2 sensor until after warmup.

Is the "maintenance required " supposed to be gone after > the oil > change?

Do you have an owner's manual? If so, look up the maintenance required light in the index in the back. You will find instructions on how to reset it. Walmart did not do it because it is not their yob (sic). Walmart, Jiffy Lube et al. do not deal with this much specialization. If you do not have the owner's manual, then go to site

On the left, click on "Owner's Manuals." Follow the pointers. Once you arrive at the pdf file, it may appear that only one page has come up. In fact, page numbers that are highlighted within the pdf file are links on which you can click to take you to the page. Also, in the upper right hand corner of any white page look for an arrow. Click the right arrow to get to the next page.

Reply to
Elle