Re: head gasket or crack 1997 CIVIC EX

I have a 1997 honda civic ex and just had 2 new axels installed about 150 miles ago. This morning one axel just came out of the tranmission and had to be towerd to the garage where the axels were installed. Does any know why this would happen? thanks.

Reply to
draarc

My guess: the axle was the wrong one and is too short. The axle end is supposed to snap into the transmission also, but I think the basic problem is that the axle is just too short.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

======================================

One way or another, the mechanic is a goof. The new axles come with fresh circlips and you have to confirm that they CLICK into place. If not, it can come out and do a great deal of damage.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

  1. incorrect installation.
  2. torn motor mount.
  3. collision damage.

whoever installed should have looked for all 3 before giving you your keys back and taking your money.

Reply to
jim beam

There are two other problems that I've seen cause the axle to fall out. The first is an installation issue. Sometimes there is not enough air in the inner CV boot to allow the joint move in and out as the suspension travels up and down. If there's not enough air, the joint will essentially be pulled out the transmission just enough to pop the circlip out of its groove. The joint then eventually falls out of the transmission. The other problem occurs if the car has been in an accident and the frame is no longer straight. It doesn't take much to bend the frame enough to cause a problem. I know of one car where the driver slid into a curb in a snowstorm on an icy road. The axle would repeatedly fall out. I then measured the suspension geometry and determined that the problem was that the frame was bent.

Eric

Reply to
Eric