Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

Hi, I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with maitenance lamp.

I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that. Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know if anyone has experience like this.

Thanks

-d

Reply to
doosy

"doosy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? Jeez people, you're told a code, cough it up!

WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some kinda secret?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

i got to the bit about leaving the mil light unfixed for "nearly a year", then stopped...

Reply to
jim beam

Fault Codes was P0420: Cat Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

TeGGeR=C2=AE =E3=81=AE=E3=83=A1=E3=83=83=E3=82=BB=E3=83=BC=E3=82=B8:

Reply to
doosy

TeGGeR=C2=AE =E3=81=AE=E3=83=A1=E3=83=83=E3=82=BB=E3=83=BC=E3=82=B8:

Reply to
doosy

"doosy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

TeGGeR®

jim beam wrote in news:DMOdnYT1c-idaDzZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

There is a girl with whom I work. She has a '99 Civic and she too has been driving around with her MIL on for a good year. I keep telling her she won't pass smog with it on and she just says, "Oh, I'll deal with it when the time comes. The car's running fine...".

Reply to
TeGGeR®

the thing is, people worry about the cost of repair and don't realize something like this is actually costing them considerably worse gas mileage and therefore money to /not/ fix, plus, they're experiencing increased rates of engine wear. but hey, it's not my car and it's not my money.

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks for the info. The web site explained well.