200 Accord knock sensor location.

I'm trying to locate the knock sensor on a 2000 accord with the F23A4 engine. The service manual shows a poor picture where it appears to be just below the valve cover in the middle of the block. I know it should be a small threaded piece with an electrical connection to it. Anyone know where it is located ? I just started experiencing pinging under light to moderate load. I've tried different brands of gasoline. The ignition timing in this car is controlled by the ECM and supposedly not adjustable. Any ideas ?

Reply to
Jay Fowler

"Jay Fowler" wrote

The drawing at

might help. It's item 14 in the drawing of the cylinder block-oil pan. You might first locate the big 28 mm (= approx. diameter of its threads) engine block coolant drain plug (item #28) on the back of the engine. Then look also for the oil pressure switch (#15). The knock sensor seems to be sort of in between.

Googling for sets of words like {engine pinging under load "knock sensor" accord} turns up a lot on this. A defective knock sensor is indeed possibly behind the knock problems. So are wrong ignition timing, wrong spark plugs (are you using those prescribed in your owner's manual, probably NGKs?), and EGR system problems.

I want to double check: Did you check your service manual for the procedure for setting timing? From the parts drawings, ISTM it should be adjustable like those of earlier Hondas: With (1) a timing light (2) aimed at marks etched into the crankshaft pulley, (3) followed by rotation of the entire distributor housing. But I could be wrong...

Look for the marks on your Accord's crankshaft pulley like those shown in

. The procedure for an earlier Honda is then described at
. This might get you started.

Keep checking back, of course.

Reply to
Elle