1994 Jetta crazy MIL

I've read that other people on this group have had similar problems, but they seem to get no response. My MIL has been going on and off for like 7 months. It goes on and off like crazy, usually when I'm maintaining speed, like in town. First my catalytic converter was replaced. It went away. For about a week. Then it came back the same. Then I had the timing belt (which was worn a lot) replaced. It went away for 2 months. I thought I was in the clear. Now it's back. I don't know if this helps, but it almost seemed to coincide with the weather warming up.

Reply to
Jared

I also own a 1994 Jetta. Mine is a 2.0L 5 speed. I don't know what you have there. Anyway, can you find out what the code is with the OBD-I connector and a OBD reader? You might have a bad data wire with an intermittant connection on the O2 sensor plug right above the passenger side motor mount. I had to solder mine back on after I realized that the new O2 sensor I installed was doing the same thing. It's the connector that the O2 sensor connection into above the mount.

Reply to
Peter Parker

the best thing to do with a MIL light coming on is to get the error code with a code reader. otherwise you will just be foolishly guessing and throwing money at the car blindly.

Reply to
Matt B.

What's the fault code?????

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I don't actually know the code, but I know my mechanic had to wire it up to blink out the codes manually because he tried like 9 readers and none of them would pull the code. But the exhaust was replaced because my catalytic converter was toast (you could hear the crap inside rattling) and the belt was the original after 125,000 miles. The mechanic isn't jerking me around as far as I know, but I am planning on returning to him soon (he promised to give a reduced charge if the light came back) I'll suggest checking the O2 sensor/wires and the PCV valve which I read somewhere else on this group might cause this.

Reply to
Jared