Special Wrench required?

Do you require a special wrench to remove the oil drain plug on a 2004 V-6 Accord? I used a 17mm socket on it and ended up stripping the head on the bolt. No way would it come lose.

Reply to
Jack

Is that one of those 12-point socket heads Honda uses?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Honda has a habit of overtightening bolts. Get a quality six point socket of the correct size.

Reply to
Woody

That's what I was thinking. Over- tightened! They must have really hammered it home, because I was using the correct size and it was a 6 point decent quality socket. It just wouldn't move. Oh well off to the dealer to get a replacement bolt. In the meantime I have to figure out how to remove the existent bolt with the damaged head. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jack

Pipe wrench.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Reply to
Jack

You might have luck with one of these sockets,

They essentially function as an inverted easy-out. Note that you can pickup a set of similar sockets at sears for about the price of just one of theSnap-On units. However, the last time I was at sears they told me thattheir twist sockets were not covered by their lifetime guarantee and theydon't sell them individually. Go figure, it sounds to me like a way to sellmore sets of tools. Of course, these issues may or not be important to youand if you're likely to only use the socket a couple of times, theninexpensive sans guarantee may be the way to go. Eric

Reply to
Eric

I use pipe wrenches from 6 inches to 4 feet.

No room at all?

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Reply to
Jack

Try using a Vise Grips or a Gorilla Grip Socket. But go to your Honda dealer to get a replacement plug, or one of those Fram easy change spouts.

Reply to
Joseph Wind