Struts on 91 Accord, and right axle?

The guy says that it needs 4 new struts and a right axle. He is correct. One front strut is leaking. I don't really care since I don't drive it too much. Maybe 5,000 miles per year. The struts are probably original

I don't think I'm going to bother with the struts. That's a lot of money and if the body was in better shape I might, but there is a fair amount of rust and it isn't getting any better. Mostly what I read says that weak struts cause slightly longer braking time and less precise handling. I'm not overly worried about a big crash or I'd finally get a car with air bags.

It doesn't bounce much on the road, and only bounces once or twice when pushed down.

I think I need to do the axle though; it's been clicking a bit sometimes on left turns for two years.

Reply to
dgk

do you have a question?

and 91 accords are wishbone suspension, not strut. what you're talking about are the shocks, or "damper units". just to be pedantic.

Reply to
jim beam

Right, two questions then. Is it ok to ignore the need for new struts? And, will the axle collapse while I'm driving if I don't do anything about it?

My (limited) understanding is that shocks are fairly cheap to replace, but struts are a big deal and require suspension work and an alignment. And I really do not want the axle to fall off the car while I'm driving.

Reply to
dgk

if they need to be replaced, replace them. otherwise, don't! take a pic of the one that's supposed to be leaking and post it on tinypic.com if you want an opinion.

pedantically, the 91 accord doesn't have axles - it's independent suspension front and rear. all a failing driveshaft will do is annoy you and make the car vibrate.

shocks on a honda are non-trivial to replace because there are coil springs over them. you need a special tool to safely disassemble and replace. however, you don't need to re-align because the wishbones set geometry and the shocks are independent of that. again, be sure you need to replace them.

Reply to
jim beam

///snipped///

Regardless of what you call them, axles, cv shafts, propellor shafts etc., the clicking noise is coming from the cv joint. The axle will stop turning the wheel when the cv joint fails. I guess it could fall out if the joint came completely apart and separated into two parts. Possible but highly unlikely.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Is a junkyard part worth doing or is the labor most of the cost?

Reply to
dgk

Negative. Junkyard parts in this case are simply not worth it. Check with your local dealer and the local parts stores, such as NAPA, AutoZone, etc., check the price and the guarantee. NAPA was offering lifetime warranty on the cv boots. Don't know if that still applies. Cost is about 50-50 parts and labor. Figure around 75-100(USD) for each a total of 150-200...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Hmm. Lifetime warranty on a 91 Accord? Oh well, it still needs to be done.

Reply to
dgk

not /your/ lifetime, the "lifetime" of the axle. it doesn't mean much because legally, it's warranteed until it breaks. think about that!

Reply to
jim beam

So let me get this all straight. I need to replace the axle because the CV joint will fail and the wheel will stop turning? That really does seem like something to be avoided.

The lifetime warranty, at least until the axle breaks, is definitely rewarding.

Reply to
dgk

that's only the extreme final worst outcome. the noise and vibration will become intolerable long before that happens.

if the drive shaft is already making noise, it needs replacing. oem are the best, longest lasting, etc. and you can replace just the cv joint. but aftermarket are cheap and plentiful. and to swap the whole shaft takes about 20 minutes if you have the right tools.

Reply to
jim beam

Check to see what the "lifetime" warranty describes. I think a failure of the boot (tear) would be considered under the lifetime of the workmanship and thus be allowed for an exchange.

Reply to
nick

Try this: The liftime of the part, as long as the owner of record owns the car.

Reply to
hachiroku

What's the lifetime of the part? Until it fails?

Reply to
dgk

Well, yeah. But with a LLT guarantee, the person offering the guarantee as long as the original purchaser/end user of the part is still the owner of record of the car.

You buy a new axle/CV joint, and have it installed (or do it yourself). After 60,000 miles the part fails, you go back to where you purchased the part with the receipt (you save receipts, right?) and the broken part. They give you a new one, or, if you haven't removed the part yet you pay for it and they reimburse you when you bring the failed one back.

You buy a new axle/CV joint, and install it on the car. 30,000 miles later you sell the car. The part fails at 35,000 miles. The new owner goes back with the part and the receipt...oh, too bad!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Fair enough. Have you noticed that current receipts often fade after a few months? I scan the important ones but if they ask for the original copy that can be tough.

Reply to
dgk