Timing belt questions

Hello,

I have a 2002 CR-V with 110,000 miles and am wondering if/when it is necessary to replace the timing belt. The user manual only mentions a "drive belt" which it says should be replaced or retightened if it appears worn or misaligned.

(1) Are the "drive belt" and timing belt the same thing? (2) Should the belt be replaced on schedule, or only if it appears worn? (3) When should the belt be replaced? (4) How much should I expect to pay, if I have it replaced?

Thank you for any advice.

-- Brett

Reply to
Brett Pantalone

The parts list for a 2002 CR-V (five door EX, for one) at

shows the CR-V has a chain (see the camshaft illustration), not a timing belt.

I see in the online owner's manual that the maintenance schedule (starting on page 236) states "Inspect and adjust drive belts." By this from my experience and the context it means the alternator, power steering, and air conditioning compressor belts. But under the "drive belt" section on page

277, it seems to be referring to the timing chain. I suspect this was just poor editing on the part of the manual's writers, or else the term "drive belt" is still fashionable and folks-in-the-know realize that it's really a chain here.

I do not see the words about misalignment or wear warranting replacement of the chain, though these make sense.

"Brett Pantalone" wrote > I have a 2002 CR-V with 110,000 miles and am wondering if/when it is > necessary to replace the timing belt. The user manual only mentions a

Reply to
Elle

I have the same vehicle and asked my Honda dealer the same question. Their service manager stated that there is no maintenance required on the chain.

Reply to
maumee