Transmission Control Module Rebuild?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what is typically 'rebuilt' inside the transmission control module? Are there certain components, i.e., capacitors, that routinely go bad after 10 years or so?

My '92 Accord when into the limp mode today and all signs point to a faulty TCM.

Thanks

Herb Texas

Reply to
HPGrn

Herb -

It sounds like more than a capacitor is defective. What diagnostic code is the module indicating at startup? Count the number of LED flashes in the little window. Perhaps one of the sensors in the engine compartment went bad.

There are 8 or 9 electrolytic and tantalum capacitors which may have deteriorated.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

It is a capacitor, and possibly two diodes. remove the TCU and pull the cover off, near the connectors there will be one burnt electrolytic capacitor and possibly the two diodes, the led flashes in the little window won't tell you much since the engine and trany computers are seperate on these models, you can jump the connector and count the flashes of the d4 light though. Chip

Reply to
chip