Window in driver-side door

Hi,

We have a 1996 Honda Civic 4-door, manual windows. For a long time, the driver window has been hard to crank up, and now it won't crank up at all. Instead, the window falls down under its own weight, although it can also be cranked down (in fact, it cranks down no matter what direction I turn the handle). I've pulled it up and taped it so that it will stay closed (duct tape, of course), but I would like to fix it here at home. The manual I have gives a few sketchy directions for taking the trim off, but assumes there are power windows, not manual. Do I need anything special to get the window crank off? And are there any other tips anyone has for undertaking this job? I assume something is broken down in there, but I'm hoping it's fixable. Any details, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Reply to
beekay

Sure - it really isn't a hard job. Start with the window crank. It is held by a spring clip (piece of wire bent into a distorted "U"). To release it you have to push the panel in, away from the base of the crank, and snag the clip. Most people use a wire hook or needle-nose pliers. Grasp or hook the end that is opposite the crank handle (or underneath the crank handle... I forget) and pop it out. Reinstallation is done by putting the clip partly back in the channel it came out of, putting the handle back in place and pushing the clip the rest of the way home.

The upholstery fasteners may take some patience. Slide a thin, stout blade (like a butter knife) between the panel and the door at one top end, and slide it until you hit one of the fasteners. If you pry from too far away the clip may pull out of the panel. Twist the blade to pop the clip out of the door and move on to the next. When it is all over the panel lifts upward. Look for screws that hold the latch trim on and the panel should swing free. If there is a speaker mounted to the panel, note any markings that indicate which way the connections go on and unplug the speaker.

Wrecking yards are a good source of the window regulator, the part that moves the window up and down. Betcha the gear is stripped in yours... it's common enough.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee