World Oil Production to Peak in 2013

And yet they are now being driven once again not based on supply and demand...

Uh, the article I did read was credible. Additionally, there are people in the local area who are well aware of what is going on and agree that the current spike is baseless in fact.

"Trucking was cheaper,..." is key here. Long distance trucking is no longer cheaper and by quite a margin at that. That's what this is all about.

Except for the northeast corridor, US rail is in private hands. No subsidies and the main rail infrastructure is adequate.

Probably not but that's not the issue. Bulk long distance carriage is.

You'd be surprised how accommodating the railroads are. I spent an afternoon as a guest at a rail management center in Ft Worth. Just think NASA amplified several times.

That's my whole point.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I agree with you here. I have read many papers on this subject with basically the same finding. The ecoterrorist are the ones putting no to this project.

Not so. They are developing fields along the Arctic coast in all areas where these same ecoterrorists haven't stopped development.

This most definitely is not true. Yes, natural gas is being stored underground in the Prudhoe Bay field, in the Kuparik field, in the Seal Island field (to name just a few) but the reason is not to control the price. Rather, there is no way, at present, to move the gas from the North Slope to markets in Alaska, Canada, and the "smaller states". However, Gov. Palin has negotiated contracts with companies to move said gas to the markets. There is some lead time involved, say ten years or so. We here in Alaska are impatiently waiting for that day to come.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

He's referring to speculators in commodity futures. The commmodity being oil. Until the year 2000 its was not possible for speculators to dabble in oil futures (except for a a few "exceptions". It was considerd to be too risky in terms of causing price spikes unrelated to to actual supply and demand. When that restriction was eliminated by Congress (at the request of Enron, no less)), guess what happened - price spikes unrelated to supply and demand!

That restriction needs to be put back into place. And quickly. The Arab feifdoms lost control of world oil prices that year, but I'm not sure who is worse having that control - OPEC or the likes of Goldman Sacks.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

If global climate trends continue - large tracts of land previously covered by ice will be accessible for oil and natural gas exploration and extraction. This may delay the year that world oil output peaks.

Reply to
Neo

"rjdriver" wrote in news:7FN8m.33948$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.iad:

99% of oil futures are traded between institutions: airlines, transportation companies, insurance compaines, banks, investment firms, retirement funds, that sort of thing.

The primary reason oil and other commodities spiked last year was a wholesale switchover away from housing markets, as the subprime crisis hit. As the above invertors ("speculators") realized the mounting losses in housing, they hurriedly pulled their money out and put it into the next best thing: commodities. That's why foodstuff commodities spiked at the same time.

Reply to
Tegger

ewsfe16.iad:

When the subprime crisis hit - speculator who were using credit via equity-swaps evaporated and became more susceptible to losses in the derivatives and commodities market. Food stuff commodies were increasing before the subprime crash and have stablized during the following recession. Increase energy cost and increase production of bio fuels - ethnanol in particular - has been blame for the rise in food stuff. Enron has been charged with manipulating electric utility prices higher. Increase use of oil by the world (especially the USA and China), the lack of Iraqi oil production due to the Iraqi War, and low production levels of "sweet crude" high grade oil has also been said to put pressure on the cost oil base fuels.

Reply to
Neo